Go Down

Topic: Advice needed for (very basic) PCB design (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

LarryD

Jul 29, 2013, 03:20 am Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 08:24 pm by LarryD Reason: 1
I always consider jumpers (or use 1 ohm resistors)  to avoid a double sided board.
The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up!

Marvin Martian

Traces look a bit fine to me - may be within the minimum, but I always err on 'comfortable' if you really don't need minium. Also some sparation distances are smaller than they need to be  - you've got traces coming off the pinheaders at cangles that take them close to other header pins when they don't need to pass that close...

Henry_Best

Jul 29, 2013, 06:34 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 06:47 pm by Henry_Best Reason: 1

Good point. Thanks for pointing in out! I made a single-sided version of it, but for some reason, that turns out to be more expensive at Eurocircuits ... Their pricing policy seems a bit erratic. But maybe it'll work out cheaper somewhere else?

Why do the traces need to 'dance' around the pot tabs? Connect the centre one straight down and the left one straight left.

CaffeineConsumer

Thanks again for the input!

I tried to tidy up some strange stuff that the auto-router had done (including the bizarre "dance" around the pot), and increased the trace width from 12 to 16 mils (even 24 for 5V, clock and latch). At last I'm starting to figure out how this Eagle thing works (I think) ...

I still think the area around the shift register looks a little messy, but I guess it should work. I just realised that I forgot to include a decoupling cap, but I found a neat DIL16 socket with a built-in .1µF cap at a local distributor, so I suppose that's not a problem after all.

LarryD

Maybe add a 100nF (surface mount) close to chip Vcc to GND
The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up!

Go Up