Strange resistor names in Eagle

I started Eagle earlier this morning and started to design the PCB layout for the schematics. I noticed that some of the resistors are named like $1_number$ and not Rnumber. I tried to use the renumber function in the tools menu but this didn't do anything.

Resistors 1-37 are correctly named as Rx, but 38-84 are named $1_number$.

What to do?

Its normal.

You are using the free-version of Eagle.
The free-version is a limited version:

• two side PcB
  • 50 components maximum
  • size of PCB limited
  • one sheet.

Use Kicad :
Open source and no limitations.

• multi layers,
  • multi sheets
  • no area limitations
  • no numbers of components limitations
  • easy to configure
    etc etc absolutly NO limitations

Starting to learn KiCad.
The clearest (step by step tutorial) I`ve found is here

If you are thinking of selling your circuit boards in the future and don`t want to spend money on software, use Kicad.
Warning long video! Part1 45m, part 2 over an hour!

I also watched this

and was quite impressed.

Diptrace also has a free version (not for profit) version, no size limit but 300 pin limit.

Actually this is some paid version on a PC at school.

The $1 designation is usually caused by the device prefix not being set in the component library. Once that's corrected, perform Update all in the Library menu.

BTW, the free version of EAGLE does not have a component limit.

Jon

stratosfear:
The $1 designation is usually caused by the device prefix not being set in the component library. Once that's corrected, perform Update all in the Library menu.

BTW, the free version of EAGLE does not have a component limit.

Jon

Exactly - I built a board for my BSc with 100s of components on with the free version of EAGLE - there are multiple different resistor libraries - check you're using the same one throughout.

Use Kicad :
Open source and no limitations.
etc etc absolutly NO limitations

Apart from the fact that drop down menus don't work.
The net import "restore connectivity" always crashes the system.
The track router gets into a funny mode where by any attempt to access a menu scrolls the screen.
It reports as unconnected nets some of those that are clearly connected.
The footprint shape of pads is very limited.
The auto routing does nothing.
I have not got down to exporting a gerber file yet, so my many hours of investment might still all be wasted.

It is an application that does not fill me with confidence.

It is an application that does not fill me with confidence.

That's nice to know - as an avid user of EAGLE, I was considering giving it a go just to see - now frankly, I don't think i'll bother. Cheers!

kicad and I do not get along, every version it flips out in new and interesting ways, you can get it to work, you can do work on it

JUST SAVE, I dont care what you do SAVE if it moves, if you do something or if its sitting there CONSTANTLY SAVE

I cant count how many times it would just disappear into thin air taking along hours of worth with it

PS: it constantly leaves artifacts on the screen, which is easy enough to get rid of (just zoom or scroll) and hope it doesnt crash

one of these days I would like to seriously check this out

but work gives me a altium license, so not today