Go Down

Topic: Thermal Printer + Arduino + need of RTS/CTS and DTR/DSR pins? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dattasaurabh82

I recently salvaged a thermal printer saying "EM205_101122" on it's circuit board. I also got success in accessing to all it's datasheets.
It seems that it has a RS232 as well as TTL ports, but both of the ports are given two  extra pins saying "RTS/DTS and DTR/DSR".
While I read about them, they are the flow control pins and are to be kept +12V or -12V.
For communication with the Arduino (as given  in this tutorial: http://bildr.org/2011/08/thermal-printer-arduino/) does these pins are required to be used or we can just use the RX TX pins only?

Help me as I'm stuck in middle of it and I just want to be sure as I don't want to burn anything trying to make it.

Ps find the datasheets as attached below

Nick Gammon

You won't burn anything out by setting them to either + or - 12V.

They are flags, if you have them around the wrong way it won't print.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

dattasaurabh82

If I don't use them at all will it affect the printing function? And If I just use the serial communication as shown in the bildr tutorial for printing will it work with this printer? I kindly request you to re-frame a conclusive wiring for the Arduino and my Thermal printer from studying briefly the data-sheet (the data sheets attached).

I Think powering it , then connecting the Rx-TX and TX-Rx and GND will do enough as given in bildr tutorial.

Thank you

HugoPT

Jul 30, 2013, 06:05 pm Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013, 06:23 pm by HugoPT Reason: 1
If I don't use them at all will it affect the printing function? And If I just use the serial communication as shown in the bildr tutorial for printing will it work with this printer?

Yes it will work.
Some days ago a wired my EPSON to the arduino and it works very well
For you do the test here is my code:
Code: [Select]

void setup ()
{
Serial.begin(19200); //Epson default printer settings for baud rate
}

void loop() //looping sequence
{
printFromAtoZ();
delay(1000);                         //delay for 1 second
}
void printFromAtoZ()
{
unsigned char caracter = 'A';  
Serial.write(0x1B);             //ESC POS command
Serial.print('@');                   //ESC POS initialize followed after command
for(uint8_t i = 0; i<=25;i++){
 Serial.write(caracter++);
}
Serial.write(0xA);                    //Print and Line Feed from Buffer
}

All you need to wire is TX RX though a MAX232 and Ground
Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy