Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Pulse Oximeter Simulator  (Read 989 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I don't know if this is the right section to post this topic, but I'm just wondering do you guys have any ideas on how to make a pulse oximeter simulator using Arduino? smiley

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Define "pulse oximeter simulator"
It could be a couple of seven-segment LEDs, displaying "98"

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

Pulse oximeter simulator - it's like a device that can be used to test the accuracy and reliability of the pulse oximeter device...

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

So, more of a "finger emulator" really?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

View Profile

finger simulator, yes. smiley

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Tricky - you've got to find something that behaves to red and infra-red light like blood does.

How do you feel about animal sacrifice?   smiley-grin

View Profile

Tricky indeed. I've been reading articles and journals about finger simulators, pulse oximeter using arduino but it seems like it making me more confused. Animal sacrifice? I hate the idea, poor animals...but if it would be the best way, I think I can handle it.  smiley-sweat

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

poor animals...but if it would be the best way
Well, at some point, you're going to have to calibrate the calibrator - you may as well bite the bullet (or the bunny!)

I honestly don't know the answer - some kind of optical filter?

Maybe get some tubes and some inks/dyes and experiment?

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Pulse oximeter simulator - it's like a device that can be used to test the accuracy and reliability of the pulse oximeter device...

I suggest you work out exactly what the sensor is sensing, and then look for some material that can provide similar properties to a finger.

I have no idea how they work, but for example if they were sensing the amount of transmitted light in a particular frequency range then it might be possible to create a graduated filter that could be moved to alter the amount of transmission in that frequency range.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

All you ever wanted to know about how a pulse oximeter works;
http://www.howequipmentworks.com/physics/respi_measurements/oxygen/oximeter/pulse_oximeter.html

It looks like they compare the relative absorption of red (650nm) and infra-red (950nm) light.
So as PeterH was suggesting you need something to filter particular wavelengths.

The simplest answer is likely to be a chemical or physical one.
Perhaps you could have a test tube (finger) with different solutions that absorb different amounts of the two wavelengths, or coloured glass slides doing the same.
For example;
If you had a slides that were transparent to infrared but blocked 5% of red light you could insert slides to block 0%, 5%, 10% etc. of the red light.
Likewise you could use slides that were transparent to red light but blocked infrared light to block 0%, 5%, 10% etc. of the red light.
By combining the two slide types you could get differing ratios of red and infared light.

View Profile

Actually our proposed study will use a phantom or artificial finger as a test probe. (see attachment)

* Untitled.png (17.85 KB, 601x602 - viewed 74 times.)

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I like the idea of sliding strips of ND filters in and out, the tricky bit will be getting the manufacturers to supply the data.
Wratten filters from Kodak used to be well-documented wrt wavelengths.

Anything involving liquids is going to involve flush cycles.

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

You need to define your requirements clearly meinee, initially you said;
Pulse oximeter simulator - it's like a device that can be used to test the accuracy and reliability of the pulse oximeter device

Later though you show an artificial finger fitted with LEDs. That will in no way test the accuracy and reliability of the oximeter. What the artificial finger would do would be let you train people to use the equipment on a dummy with different apparent blood oxygen levels. That is a completely different requirement. It can probably be done just by varying the intensity of the red and IR LEDs on the artificial finger.

Edison Member
View Profile

What you probably need is a rotating cylinder with a filter of some sort so that you can quickly change the absorption requirements. I don't think it will be sufficient to just calibrate the receiver, the transmitter needs calibration, too.

View Profile

Given that the sensor measures attenuation (via absorption) of light produced by a pulse ox probe.  Your best source for LEDs for this project may be a used pulse ox probe.   As well you may be able to both sensor and emitter by using components from the pulse ox probe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: