Go Down

Topic: Lilypad USB Pin 9 goes high without being connected in a circuit (Read 19151 times) previous topic - next topic

womtom

Hello

This is my first arduino project and I was trying to test a simple program that uses pin 14 as an output to an LED and Pin 9 as an input for a button.  The program simply waits for pin 9 to go high when the button is pushed. My issue is that i connect the LED from pin 14 to the negative power port, and when I just touch pin 9 with either my bare finger or a piece of stripped wire the pin acts as if it has gone high and runs the program to blink the LED for roughly 5 seconds and then stop.  So I know that my program sort of works, but I am unsure why pin 9 goes high when it is not connected to the negative port on the board and is activated when touched by a finger or wire in my hand.  If need be I can post my code on this thread.  Any help would be much appreciated.

-womtom

Runaway Pancake

but I am unsure why pin 9 goes high when it is not connected to the negative port on the board and is activated when touched by a finger or wire in my hand.

You're coupling "stray AC" (it's all around us, everywhere) into the input pin.
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

charliesixpack

Your body acts as a big capacitor and it can be charged to a quite high voltage.  You have no doubt noticed that you can produce a spark by touching a grounded object after you have walked across a rug.

leibniz81

As Grumpy-Mike says add a pull down or up resistor to avoid the false high states

CrossRoads

Use the internal pullup, and look for a low instead:
Code: [Select]

pinMode (9, INPUT_PULLUP);

then
if (digitalRead (9, LOW){
// do whatever
}
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy