Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Servo pan/tilt control from keyboard?  (Read 929 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've made a small servo pan/tilt mount that I'd like to be able to control from the keyboard of my computer, but currently the only way I can find to do it is by typing in letters into the serial window and hitting enter.  Is there a way to have it such that when you type a letter it's automatically sent, so that it'd eliminate the jerkiness?

Alternatively, does someone know how to just control such a mount using the keyboard arrow keys?  I've seen videos of a setup like that but I haven't found any way to do that.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Is there a way to have it such that when you type a letter it's automatically sent, so that it'd eliminate the jerkiness
You don't say what you're using, but a proper serial terminal emulator (like the old Windoze Hyperterm) would let you do what you want.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:13:59 am by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

That gets rid of the having to press enter.  Thanks!  It's still a bit jerky, though, due to the keyboard only reading the letters at a certain speed.  Do you know of any way to get the arrow key control to work?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You will probably need to write/develop a program to run on your pc to monitor for the arrow key press, then send the desired data to the com port. You should be able to use any number of programming languages to do this. You may want to look at "autoit" or something similar for a quick solution. The "jerky" issue may be something beyond the keyboard control.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Dallas, TX
Check out my blog on your smartphone!
View Profile

use processing or a vb app.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: