Go Down

Topic: Solder does not stick to iron after cleaning (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

pwillard

so I think I have managed to prove that soldering irons don't really need much TLC to work

Show us your work. Many would say that a dirty iron means that it must run too hot to heat through the accumulated crud.

be80be

Lol these aren't a $12 iron and the kind of dimmer.
How can any said whats what and not have one
Guess I guess lol I know what mine does it over heats the
Tip not now and I'm happy with the set up

polymorph

I make sure my iron has fresh solder on the tip before putting it back in the holder, either from whatever I just soldered, or by adding a little more. Never wipe it off before putting it back in the holder, as the excess solder oxidizes instead of the tip.

Then I wipe the oxidized solder off and add a little fresh solder just before soldering a connection.

I use a damp sponge with slits cut in it, and when needed I use a brass wool tip cleaner.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdImag/156777.jpg

I don't use it instead of a sponge, I use it in conjunction with a sponge. I'd only use steel wool on a badly corroded gunked up tip, and I'd never file it or use sandpaper on it. There is a thin plating of iron on the tip, if you wear through it then the solder mixes with the copper inside and your tip will hollow out.

Radio Shack irons have rather thin iron plating on them, and their solder tends to have -very- aggressive rosin core, almost an acid. I don't buy irons or solder from them any more.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

Go Up