Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Touch screen types  (Read 1014 times)
Central UK
Hard of Thinking
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,
I have a DS touchscreen on order to have a play with. Got me thinking about an old digitiser pad I used to have (that never worked very well)
It used a pen with a plastic tip and something in the barrel that was picked up by the USB connected pad (ACECAT I think it was called and annoyingly I threw it away just a few weeks ago)
Whilst I'm in noob mode and trying to connect anything and everything to the Arduino at the moment can anyone tell me what sort of 'touch' pad this is? I like the idea of the lighter touch albeit with a stylus.
Has anyone tried linking one? Not sure what was in the pen that was being picked up by the tablet, really should have been more inquisitive during the 10 years it sat in my drawer" :-[

Any info much appreciated.

Central UK
Hard of Thinking
View Profile

Wikipedia! Sorry - I have an excuse - very late this side of the world!
Thanks for the link.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Regarding controlling a DS touch screen, take a look at this if you haven't already:
http://mnicolato.altervista.org/arduino/ardtouch.htm
Google translate is not much use but you don't need to be able to read that really :p

Mowcius

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

I think Ace CAD shipped more than one touchpad technology.  When I did a quick google search,  it appeared that their USB tablet used a Kurta/Mutch/Finepoint-type of touchscreen,  like the ones used on the 1990s Fujitsu Stylistics.  There are Linux drivers for those,  and for at least some of the Wacom tablets (which,  iirc,  were similar,  but not identical).  So you can get source code to use as a base for interfacing with them on an Arduino or other platform.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just thought it might be worth mentioning you can buy DS screens as replacement parts on ebay, they dont tend to be as good as the original screens (some discoloration etc) but they generally come in at less than £10 from what i remember.

The touch screen comes in two segments, the sreen and the touch screen overlay. If you figure it out how to interface with these parts id be very interested in reading about how you did it smiley

Northampton, UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

brucedjones:

I recently purchased a book Practical Arduino - Cool Projects for Open Source Hardware and chapter 8 is all about interfacing with the Nintendo DS touch screens - the author did some pretty cool stuff with it!   All the info about how to interface and the source code can be found here:

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/touch-control-panel

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Touch-screens usually use a transparent (tin oxide) grid over the display and capacitively sense

Is that why you need one of those stylus things then?

tin oxide
sp. "tin-doped indium oxide (aka ITO)"

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Touch-screens usually use a transparent (tin oxide) grid over the display and capacitively sense when a finger is at a particular spot.
Capactive touch screens do.

Most touch screens are resistive and use 2 layers that press together and a microcontroller then reads the resistance (like in a linear potentiometer).

Touch screens are going towards the capactive type as people often don't want to use a stylus and capacitive is much more responsive than resistive as no force is required.

Mowcius

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: