Go Down

Topic: Interface with the USB-serial rather than pin 0/1? (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

Aug 17, 2006, 03:27 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2006, 03:28 am by frank5000 Reason: 1
Is there any way to do serial to/from the arduino board on the USB connection? I realize pins 0 and 1 are used for TTL serial, but i'd like to interface back with the Mac it's running on. Can I do serial with both ports. or only via pins 0/1?

my setup....
USB Arduino board from Sparkfun
Mac OS X 10.4.7
have no problem transferring files to the arduino board via USB

Any ideas??

-frank-

mellis

The serial commands (Serial.print(), etc.) all communicate with the computer over USB in addition to over pins 0 and 1.  You should be able to use them to communicate back to the computer and programs like Processing, PD, etc.

Aug 17, 2006, 01:57 pm Last Edit: Aug 17, 2006, 01:57 pm by frank5000 Reason: 1
thanks for the info! i checked the schematic after i posted that and figured that they're both connected to the same line. for some reason i was thinking they were on different channels because of how the USB powers programming. also, i stumbled upon the 'arduino meets processing' page which explains with better detail how to interface with the computer.

the only version of the schematic i can find is a small-ish jpg. is there a higher resolution version somewhere? perhaps a PDF? i suppose that i could load the EAGLE files and make a high-res version myself.....

-f-

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy