Poll
Question: Interface with the USB-serial rather than pin 0/1??
Interface with the USB-serial? - 0 (0%)
Interface with the USB-serial? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Interface with the USB-serial rather than pin 0/1?  (Read 415 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is there any way to do serial to/from the arduino board on the USB connection? I realize pins 0 and 1 are used for TTL serial, but i'd like to interface back with the Mac it's running on. Can I do serial with both ports. or only via pins 0/1?

my setup....
USB Arduino board from Sparkfun
Mac OS X 10.4.7
have no problem transferring files to the arduino board via USB

Any ideas??

-frank-
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:28:32 pm by frank5000 » Logged

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

The serial commands (Serial.print(), etc.) all communicate with the computer over USB in addition to over pins 0 and 1.  You should be able to use them to communicate back to the computer and programs like Processing, PD, etc.

View Profile

thanks for the info! i checked the schematic after i posted that and figured that they're both connected to the same line. for some reason i was thinking they were on different channels because of how the USB powers programming. also, i stumbled upon the 'arduino meets processing' page which explains with better detail how to interface with the computer.

the only version of the schematic i can find is a small-ish jpg. is there a higher resolution version somewhere? perhaps a PDF? i suppose that i could load the EAGLE files and make a high-res version myself.....

-f-
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:57:59 am by frank5000 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: