Go Down

Topic: Interfacing with Video Receiver (Read 446 times) previous topic - next topic

g0bl1n

Jun 15, 2010, 04:39 am Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 06:44 am by g0bl1n Reason: 1
Several years ago I bought an Astak video camera set.  It came with the receiver to hook up to your TV and two cameras (security cameras).  I lost the remote to change which camera you are on (the remote allowed you to press 1-4 to change the camera, then it had a loop button that would flip through the cameras every 10 seconds or so).  I never really liked the remote since it didn't work very well, so I thought I would create a wired interface to the receiver.  However I'm not quite sure how the receiver changes channels.  They're aren't any identifying markings on the receiver, and there aren't any Astak schematics that I can find.  The circuit board has some of the pins labeled however:

Pin 0: NC
Pin 1: NC
Pin 2: NC
Pin 3: SDA
Pin 4: SCL
Pin 5: VIDEO   (Video Out)
Pin 6: +5V
Pin 7: AL(6.0)   (Audio Left Out)
Pin 8: AR(6.5)   (Audio Right Out)
Pin 9: GND

There is a microcontroller (I believe) on the underside of the board, it is labeled BJX.  Anyone have any idea how this changes channels?

I know that the SDA and SCL pins are what would communicate with the Arduino, but I'm not quite sure how to use the i2c protocol to control this thing.  Any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

Groove

Per Arduino ad Astra

cr0sh

Any ideas where to start?

Have you thought about contacting the company?

Call them up, tell them what you are wanting to do (have the model number of the device handy), be professional and tell them how you want to integrate the Arduino to control the system. DO NOT tell them that the remote was less than desirable - you want them to understand that you are wanting to augment the system.

You might also inquire about obtaining another remote. Make sure in your dealings that you mention you will pay for the things you are requesting. This lets them know you are serious. In some cases, by doing these things and acting/speaking right, you can open doors and obtain product generally for free. Ask about specs and service schematics or service manuals. They may have some lying around (especially if it is an obsolete product).

I recently did this with a pair of bench power supplies that were at least 15 years or more old, that I bought from a local electronics junk/surplus yard here in Phoenix, Arizona (Apache Reclamation and Electronics). I first emailed the company, then followed up with a phone call. Not only did I get actual originals of the user and service manuals, but they shipped them to me on their dime; I didn't have to pay a nickel.

Don't get me wrong; it doesn't work like this with every company, but generally, if you ask nicely, you would be amazed the information and help companies will give for their products, even junked or obsolete ones (which can sometimes be like pulling teeth, unfortunately).

Good luck!

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up