Go Down

Topic: 9v battery power for arduino and led strip (Read 2528 times) previous topic - next topic

jack wp

I am not clear where the power is connected. All power should have a common ground. Describe, or give a schematic, for the other side of the power. Is the led strip +5 connected to what? Where is the battery connected on the arduino?

Basicly, I am asking, is the arduino 5 volt regulator providing power to the 2 amp led strip.

Good luck, Jack

moracca

yes, the strip is getting its +5V directly from the arduino 5V pin.

My battery pack is connected to the arduino's DC power input.

Then my strip is connected to the arduino on the 5V pin, GND pin, and 2 PWM pins.

That's pretty much the extent of it, I took the switch out of the equation for now as the batter pack I'm using only has a 2.1mm plug attached and I don't have a female plug at the moment which I could wire directly to the strip and the arduino.

moracca

Also, are there any recommended power sources that I can use that I don't have to worry about the battery dropping below 3V (such in li-ion and li-po?  I'd like to be able to leave my project and let it run until the battery eventually dies.

jack wp

So you are powering the 2 amp LED strip from the arduino onboard 5 volt regulator. I am amazed it would run that long. That is way to much current for the regulator. Don't do that. Provide the power to the led strip from another source.

As far as recommending a power source, there are so many options. You could use small batteries, large batteries, power supply that plugs into house voltage (and drops the voltage of course). If you don't have one already and have to buy it, consider, local source, order from around the world, price, etc.

But in summation, the reason the system was shutting down was probably because of to much current draw on the voltage regulator.

Good luck, Jack

moracca

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I was hoping someone could explain why I don't have these problems when the arduino is powered by my computer's USB port?

tylernt

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I was hoping someone could explain why I don't have these problems when the arduino is powered by my computer's USB port?
Your computer will supply at least 500mA, possibly 1A of current. A 9v might supply a couple hundred mA for only a few seconds before falling flat on it's face.

jack wp

I am not sure which went first, the 9 volt battery, or the onboard 5 volt regulator.
If you are using the PC usb, the onboard 5 volt regulator is not being used.

When you connect the 9 volts to the Vin, the onboard 5 volt regulator has to drop that 9 volts down to 5 volts. That makes for a 4 volt drop across the regulator. If you have not looked yet, that regulator is small, and not much heat sink provided.

Either way, you can't draw 2 amps (for very long, seconds), from a small 9 volt battery, or through a small 5 volt regulator. I don't know which went first, but it would be a close race.
Good luck, Jack

Go Up