Go Down

Topic: HardwareSerial core library (Read 475 times) previous topic - next topic

RomanIL

Hello,

I have reached the point where I filled up my atmega32u4 with 99.99% of the flash size.

That is after optimizing everything I could think of.
My sketch includes:

4K bootloader
2 softwareSerial ports, 1 for WIFI module, 1 for GPRS module
Serial0 port enabled for terminal communication with PC
Serial1 port enabled for GPS module
WDT enabled
EEPROM in use
PROGRAMMEM in use
TinyGPS++ library in use
GPS module in use
Sim900 in use for GPRS communication
Accelerometer ADC input in use
I2C for LCD screen in use

All those features are bundled in a complex state-machine algorithm that fits perfectly onto
the 28Kbyte available FLASH mem (4K is used by the bootloader - Needed for updating, JTAG not available)

And now I'm requested to a Bluetooth module :@

After some trail and error (commenting out chunks of code) I have found that the only possible place
I have left to reduce some size is the Serial1 usage.

Enabling Serial1.read()/Serial1.available() in my code, add 6500bytes.
I was wondering how is this library so big if its only the Hardware RX\TX serial com, some interrrupts and bitbanging?

I will be thankfull if someone can shed some light on what's happening in this library that it takes 1/4 of the FLASH mem size.

PS:
My mega32u4-RC is on a custom clone circuit of arduino-micro, It runs on its' internal 1Mhz RC so I have modiefied the bootloader and USBCore to make it work. If it can be usefull I can post the edited files.

Roman

pYro_65

Post your code, I'm sure there are places where things can be optimized and hopefully make room for what you need.
Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

-dev

NeoGPS could save you quite a bit of flash and RAM, compared toTinyGPS++: somewhere between 200 and 1200 bytes of RAM.  It can be configured to parse and save only the messages and fields that you actually use.

Cosa is a stunning masterpiece, if you are comfortable with true Object-Oriented C++.  Very lean.

Cheers,
/dev
Really, I used to be /dev.  :(

Go Up