Go Down

Topic: Loop station (Read 2031 times) previous topic - next topic

I came ackros loop stations for guitars, is it possible to program arduino uno to make something similar to loop station?

AmbiLobe

No. The RAM is too small in Arduino. Even 96 kbytes is not enough to loop 6 seconds. How long is the loop time?
I am going to get going.

well its more to my brother but as i remember he usis about 30 sec loops or even more. if i use sd card as RAM?

AmbiLobe

Yes, you can use an SD card (solid-state disc) for looping. The endurance is not as good as a RAM, so after using it in 10,000 songs, it can fail. But your Arduino software can have an algorithm for "wear leveling" so it  does not use the same Flash memory blocks. An SD card does not have each byte under control, it has blocks of thousands ofbytes connected together. If you understand the block details of your SD then you can have "wear leveling". But I expect that is too advanced for you. 
I am going to get going.

i get what you want to say just fine.I study about pc and ewry think that is connected to them but im stil just a biginer in arduino so i think thet. wear leveling comand is farr reach for me. sorry for my poore  english

btw i have like 5 sd card that ar not wort to use eny where els but just for same sort of project cus thy ard like 2 gb each and at thease days. this amount of spase for me is not worth of using.

boguz

Hi.

i have also looked into this.
One of the problems (no need to talk about many others) would be that with a loop station we often want many loops to play simultanously, and even be able to controll each of them independently. I found that this whole thing isn't so easy to do with an Arduino.

in the end, i decided to make just an Arduino midi foot controller, to be able to use looping software in my laptop keeping my hands free to play some music, which turned out working great!  ;)
You can see a small example here:
http://youtu.be/x1z_OL6l7G4

would this be an option for you?

janost

There are a lot of tricks that can be used, ADPCM is one of them.
96K doesnt have to be that small.

But if you need several seconds you need external storage.

If you use an SDRAM stick/chip, the wires arent that many and if you keep the timing within the refresh rate it will work just fine.

Well boguz that loks good but i'm user of  windows not mac and that software that you where using is it  free or samething. I'm one of those who don't want to pay for eny kind of software.

boguz

Well boguz that loks good but i'm user of  windows not mac and that software that you where using is it  free or samething. I'm one of those who don't want to pay for eny kind of software.

if you don't want to pay for software why are you using windows? Take a look into Linux, i bet you'll be surprised!!

Well, that software is not free, but i think if you make a search in google for free looping software you will get a lot of hits.
I also use another software which is FREE, and i think they also have a windows version.
Sooperlooper: http://sonosaurus.com/sooperlooper/
;)

Go Up