Go Down

Topic: 3S lipo carger (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

robvoi

Hi,

I have a Robot which is powered by a 3S/11.1 Lipo.
I would like the robot to dock to a charging station to charge its lipo.

Does somebody know a good solution for charging the Lipo with balancing? There are great Lipo shields. But they are for 1S/3.7V Lipos.

A solution with which the robot could stay on during charging would be perfect.

Thanks
Robert

MarkT

All multi-cell LiPo chargers should be balancing chargers, LiPo's easily catch fire if charged unbalanced.

Your main problem will be docking - a balancing charger needs n+1 reliable contacts for n cells in series,
which might be mechanically tricky.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

robvoi

That's why I was hoping that there is something like a multi cell lipo shield. So a balancing charger I just need to supply with two contacts.

joe mcd

How can the charger perform balance with only 2 contacts?  'Balancing' means keeping all cells at equal voltage during charge.

Chagrin

With respect to preventing overcharge / overdischarge of individual cells you can implement a battery protection circuit: http://www.all-battery.com/protectivepcbsforli-ionandli-polymerbatterypacks.aspx.

MarkT

That's why I was hoping that there is something like a multi cell lipo shield. So a balancing charger I just need to supply with two contacts.

You want a LiPo battery management system on the battery, one that takes a simple 2 wire power source
as input and that can stay connected during discharge - normally this would be called a BMS.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

joe mcd

An imbalance between cells can only be corrected if ALL cells are connected.

You want a LiPo battery management system on the battery, one that takes a simple 2 wire power source

That is the main charging current.  The balancing currents travel thru smaller gauge wires.
See attached image of a 3-cell LiPo under recharge on a Turnigy charger.

Look at the earlier reference closely:
http://www.all-battery.com/protectivepcbsforli-ionandli-polymerbatterypacks.aspx
You will see the multiple connections.  For example:
http://www.all-battery.com/protectioncircuitmodulepcbfor111vli-ionbatterypack3cellswith65alimit-pcb111v65a.aspx

Charging at 2 points only cannot work because the cells cannot have exactly the same capacity.  Inevitable one cell will overcharge.  Overcharging not a good idea on LiPo cells.  They contain finely divided Lithium metal and can burn vigourously when unhappy.

Trust me, I worked as a chemist with Lithium.  You not want to see it catch fire.

robvoi

Thanks for all the replies. What I then realy need is a complete Balancer and BPS - portable.
I think in this case it will be easier to build a solid five point connection for the robot and use my standard LIPO charger.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy