Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wiring Arduino Uno's together for same COM Resources?  (Read 1652 times)
UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Seems you can use processing to talk to 2 or more serial devices by giving them different Baud rates:

Of course you can connect multiple Arduinos to a computer at the same time and talk to them independently since they each present a separate serial port. That has nothing whatsoever to do with using different baud rates though, and if you have read something that says you need to use different baud rates either you have misunderstood it, or it is wrong.

You started off by stating that you wanted to connect multiple Arduinos to the same serial port, which is why all the discussions have centered around that.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Virginia, US
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

That has nothing whatsoever to do with using different baud rates though, and if you have read something that says you need to use different baud rates either you have misunderstood it, or it is wrong.
Agreed. I thought about this after I read it, you wouldn't be able to have both resources with the same COM #, not sure what they were talking about on the other site that I was reading.

Anyways,
The reason the processing idea works and still fits these parameters is that for this project I am going to assign ACII characters to different ranges in a joystick and need to be able to have 2 different motor controllers pick it up without having to go in and manually switch the active COM device. With processing it does look like I will be able to assign part of the keyboard to one Arduino and part of the keyboard to another, both can be active on 2 different COM #'s while the program knows which to send the ACII characters.

This did get a bit off topic, but it seems my initial question was flawed in the reasoning behind what I was out to accomplish.

Thanks for the help and I will edit out the baud rate comment above in case somebody stumbles upon this, as it's obviously wrong.

The link above is still the correct example though, if anybody needs it. =)

He who dares, Wins.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: