Go Down

Topic: Completely destroyed??? (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic

Drew Davis

Aug 16, 2013, 10:26 pm Last Edit: Aug 16, 2013, 10:35 pm by Drew Davis Reason: 1
Well I now  officially hate my Sparkfun Switching Mode Power supply! I recently got it, and up until now, I had know idea that if you turn the nob when it is off it will still bump up the voltage the next time you turn it on.

Well I have been testing a line following robot which was made mostly from scratch, and some how the dial go turned while I was taking a break. When I got back the power supply was off, however, it was still plug into the robot. I switched it on and bamb! 11+ volts went throughout my robot. :( :( :(

I turned it off within seconds, but i know some of the parts are destroyed as I can't up load programs anymore. I can't test most of the stuff because I only bought enough to make one Arduino. I have the links below to what I was using and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what was most likely destroyed so I can re-buy the parts. I'm currently testing the LCD and sensors. Below is the list of stuff I can't test.





https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10524
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9457
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/536


Thanks!

Edit: To power the Arduino I connected the power supply to the voltage lines on a breadboard so that I did not have to keep the USB plugged in.

Drew Davis

#1
Aug 16, 2013, 10:34 pm Last Edit: Aug 16, 2013, 10:40 pm by Drew Davis Reason: 1
I just tested the sensors and they are all ok. Two of them were Sparkfun light sensors and the other was a sharp distance sensor. The LCD is shot. It just glows green with black rectangles over the parts were the letters should have been and will not display text any wear.

Go Up