Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: O Scope recomendation  (Read 5713 times)
Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Better to get a good used analog 50MHz or 100MHz 'scope than a crap USB 1MSPS 'scope. In general.

That said, I finally upgraded from my 20MHz dual trace expanded sweep analog 'scope to a 50MHz Rigol that will shortly get upgraded to 100MHz, at which point someone gave me a nonworking Tektronix 100MHz dual trace analog 'scope. I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I think I'm getting a Rigol DS2202, dual channel, 200 MHz, widescreen, I like some of the features.
Was considering an old (1995) TEX 4-channel 200 MHz for comparable $, $1600 range, or a 500 MHz 4 channel Agilent for $2700 - but I figure if I need that many channels I'm gonna be looking at a  bunch of digital stuff and will use Salea logic analyzer instead.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

If you're looking at the Rigol DS2000 series, the DS2072 can be upgraded to 200 MHz bandwidth using just a software key.  A web search for "rigol ds2000 hack" will bring up quite a bit of relevant information, and there's a long thread on eevblog.com on the subject.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Well, I did it, ordered a 4-channel 200 MHz digital scope.
Might be overkill for Arduino work, but I certainly won't be under equipped.
http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGDS-2204A.html
Includes 4 probes. I like the ability to add modules later for functionality if, for example, my Saleae 8-channel logic analyzer proves ineffective with its 24 MHz sampling.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Looks nice.  I just received my Rigol DS2072, and converted it to a fully-optioned DS2202.  Seems very nice, but it's my first scope, so what do I know?  The I2C and SPI trigger/decode seem like they could be very useful for Arduino work.  We're probably both rather far afield of what OP is looking for, though.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I know skyjumper personally, and I don't think so.

Rapa Nui
Edison Member
Pukao hats cleaning services
View Profile

Oscope below 200MHz is wasting the money, imho..

You cannot give blanket opinions without considering the application.
It does not matter what your today's application is. An oscope purchase is for majority of people considered an investment, which shall last for many years. What would be your applications in 4 years look like?

View Profile

A web search for "rigol ds2000 hack" will bring up quite a bit of relevant information, and there's a long thread on eevblog.com on the subject.
...and rather than play hide the ball, here's the link to that thread:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/

I've not personally tested the increased bandwidth or added features, but the scope's status page states they're active.  I can just confirm that the scope seems to work well for what little I've used it for so far.

View Profile

Looks like Rigol's just released (or about to release) the DS1000Z series, starting with the DS1074Z--4 channels, 70 MHz, and a package about the size of the DS1052E.  Screen is 7" dia., which is larger than the 1052 but smaller than the DS2000 series.  Starts at $585 US.  For another $200 or so, a 2-channel function generator can be built in.
Product page: http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000Z/ds1074z/
Video overview:

It sounds like it doesn't have all the features available that the DS2000 series does, but the function generator could tip the scales a bit (as could the extra 2 channels).  I wouldn't be surprised if it were hacked in fairly short order as well, but that's another matter...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: