Go Down

Topic: Problems finding Vcc using bandgap voltage method (Read 13654 times) previous topic - next topic

bilica

Thanks, I do have a spare analog input.

Would you mind giving more details (or other pointers) ? I am total beginner in this area.

Thanks again,

If you have a spare analog input pin, then a simple solution for any micro is to just wire a precision voltage reference chip to one input and use that value to map the correct range used for the other analog inputs of the ADC.
One of many possible examples:
http://www.analog.com/en/special-linear-functions/voltage-references/ad580/products/product.html

duntax

I plan to use this method to protect my LiPo battery pack. Does it make sense to monitor vcc to determine if there is enough power in my 7.4 V battery connected to Vin ? I hope drop in Vcc signals battery undervoltage but I have doubts.

retrolefty

Jun 11, 2014, 06:11 pm Last Edit: Jun 11, 2014, 07:39 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1

I plan to use this method to protect my LiPo battery pack. Does it make sense to monitor vcc to determine if there is enough power in my 7.4 V battery connected to Vin ? I hope drop in Vcc signals battery undervoltage but I have doubts.

No it won't. The Vin voltage goes to a voltage regulator that maintains a steady Vcc voltage even as Vin is dropping over time. A LiP0 two cell battery will have a voltage output from 8.4 vdc at full charge down to 3  6 vdc where most recommend to stop drawing power from it. You are better off using a voltage divider and measuring the battery directly via a analog input pin to decide when to alarm or shutdown.

duntax

And if I have two single cell batteries with a tap between them? Is it enough to measure the voltage at the tap without the divider?

retrolefty

And if I have two single cell batteries with a tap between them? Is it enough to measure the voltage at the tap without the divider?

Sounds good to me, saves needing the voltage divider.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy