Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Basic maths: 10kΩ resistor, 5V voltage, 100µF cap=0.76 second LED fadeout  (Read 1495 times)
Helsinki
A librarydude
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How come you're not using a transistor ?  You can make it fade out nicely then!

Did you refer to me? Because i want to learn this stuff smiley Transistors will come later  smiley-cool

Lacey, Washington, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yes, the missing 0.25j goes into RF radiation from the magnetic field changes as the charge bounces between the caps, into resistive losses in the wires, losses in the dielectric, and losses in the ESR of the capacitors.

If you had two perfect capacitors with superconducting plates and superconducting wire and no losses in the dielectric, it would take a long time to stop ringing, but eventually it would radiate away as RF.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

It might be interesting to connect the circuit as below, use the digital pin to charge and discharge the capacitor, and the analog pin to measure the voltage across the cap. It probably won't be perfect, but I'd bet it would come pretty close to producing the classic charge/discharge curve (example here).

* rc.png (2.31 KB, 235x269 - viewed 17 times.)

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Faraday Member
View Profile

Yes mace, the led discharging through the cap gives a short pulse not so much fade. .

Using a transistor you fill a capacitor with the button press and as that slowly discharges (connected to the base of a transistor) will gently fade out the led...

If you want automatic a 555 can be used to "breathe" ..

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: