Go Down

Topic: Interfacing with a CO2 sensor (Read 2629 times) previous topic - next topic

ekiss

Hey,
I have been asked to make a simple carbon dioxide monitoring system. My only issue is that I am really only a programmer and have limited knowledge about electronics. In the data sheet, they have a diagram for interfacing with a external micro controller (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0019/5952/files/Spec070426-K22-PWM_ed2-2000.pdf?1254409988). Although I have an idea of what to do, I do not want to damage the expensive sensor in anyway and would feel more comfortable if someone reaffirmed me.

I have already poked around online and seem to have stumbled on some working code already:

int  pin=14;
unsigned long duration;

void setup()
{
pinMode(pin, INPUT);
 Serial.begin(115200);
}
void loop()
{
unsigned long ppm; // adding for clarity

duration = pulseIn(pin, HIGH); // get the raw reading
ppm = duration - 177000UL; // subtract the 'zero point'
ppm /= 500UL; // divide by the gain
ppm += 350UL; // add the zero point back in

Serial.print("  PPM Co2: ");
Serial.print(ppm,DEC);
Serial.print("  Raw Sensor: ");
Serial.println(duration,DEC);
}

I am really hoping someone can give me a detailed explanation of what I need to do but any help is appreciated.

Eric

RIDDICK

May 07, 2010, 04:30 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:48 pm by RIDDICK Reason: 1
the co2 sensor and the arduino need to share a common ground voltage level...
how does ur power supply look like?

the PWM output varies between 0V and V+ of the CO2 sensor...
the arduino needs below 30% of its supply voltage for a digital LOW...
the arduino needs above 70% of its supply voltage for a digital HIGH...
but the arduino doesnt like voltages below 0V or above its supply voltage...
maybe u need a voltage divider if the PWM output voltage can be higher than the arduino supply voltage...?

i would use the following method to convert the PWM into the ppmCO2 value, because it doesnt depend on an accurate time (on my arduino i have an error of +0.3% IIRC... 0.3% of 1004ms (~=~3ms) corresponds to 6ppmCO2):
Code: [Select]

uint16_t pwm2ppm(uint8_t pin) {
 while (digitalRead(pin) == HIGH);
 while (digitalRead(pin) == LOW);
 uint32_t h,l;
 for (h=0; digitalRead(pin) == HIGH; h++);
 for (l=0; digitalRead(pin) == LOW; l++);
 // h+l <=> 1004msec
 // 1004*h/(h+l) <=> duty cycle D in msec
 // (D-177)/0.5 + 350 = ppmCO2
 return ((2*1004*h+1004)/(h+l)-2*177) + 350; // +1004 for proper rounding...(?)
}

maybe u should even disable interrupts...
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/noInterrupts

-arne
-Arne

RIDDICK

btw:
do u know where pin 14 is?
i think it is analog pin 0...

after a reset all analog pins r configured as inputs...
so that u can be quite sure, that the sensor isnt damaged by them...
but maybe u want to put a resistor (2kOhm or so) between the arduino pin and the sensor PWM output... just to be sure... :-)

-arne
-Arne

ekiss

Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to where I got the code from: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257112824

In the post, he seems to have gotten correct input using just two resistors and the code provided but I wanted to be sure of where exactly he put them.

RIDDICK

May 09, 2010, 11:46 am Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:47 am by RIDDICK Reason: 1
according to the K22 datasheet (page 6 & 5) u dont need ur own pull-up resistor (4.7k to 5V), because the K22 already contains its own on-board...

the 10k is just for the case, that u re-conf pin #14 as output pin and give 5V on it... :-)
everything clearly above 125 Ohm should be safe here, because arduino pins can take 40mA...
according to the K22 datasheet there is already a 120 Ohm resistor on the K22 board...
the BC847 on the K22 can take even more than 40mA...

i like my approach (without pulseIn()) still better... :-)

-arne
-Arne

ekiss

hmm so you are basically saying i can just connect the sensor without any resistors (unless i want to be on the safe side)?

ekiss

also i think ill try the method described in the other post first because i know it has been tested and works. after i get it working ill be sure to try the method you described.

Andrew Robinson

Hello,

Hopefully you have gotten this interface working!

I am a representative from CO2Meter and have noticed this forum post. I'd just like to add that we have a guide written specifically for Arduino boards that will guide you through interfacing with the sensor over I2C:

cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0019/5952/files/Senseair-Arduino.pdf?1264294173

Using a purely digital form of communications will generally provide a higher degree of accuacy.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Andrew Robinson
andrewbrobinson.com

windhamrules

WOW very nice, a rep helping you out! Fantastic! Rare, but awesome!
Chris
Its hard to put the smoke back in the wires

ekiss

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the post! I did get the CO2 sensor working via PWM. The guide you linked seems very helpful. I thought about using I2C in the beginning but I wasn't too comfortable with it.

One question I have is what do you think a average house CO2 level should be? I read in around 600-750 ppm on average. I want to make sure I did my math right and it is calibrated.

Thanks, Eric

gwen

Jun 30, 2010, 06:24 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 07:02 pm by gwen Reason: 1
Hi Andrew,
 I just finally logged back on today and got your message.. yes 600-800 ppm is where most residences sit.
If you have your space filled with green plants like a greenhouse then the co2 can go lower as it is consumed by the respirating plants.

gwen
ps good luck with that project

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy