Go Down

Topic: Latest chip you smoked? (Read 633 times) previous topic - next topic

JoeN

OK, this is shamelessly derivative, but what's the latest chip you smoked?

Just blew the heck out of one of these last night.  It was returning SPI registers just fine until I got the polarity on a couple of lines reversed.  I was wondering why it was drawing a third an amp.  That was more than enough to kill it.  All zeros after that and then a lot of hot air to install a new chip.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Grumpy_Mike

A whole Raspberry Pi. I had it working on the Saturday at the Manchester Mini Maker Faire and removed the power from the stand. Came in the following morning and plugged the whole stands power supply in at once. Result, two Raspberry Pis bit the dust.

JoeN

A whole Raspberry Pi. I had it working on the Saturday at the Manchester Mini Maker Faire and removed the power from the stand. Came in the following morning and plugged the whole stands power supply in at once. Result, two Raspberry Pis bit the dust.

Whoa, I know what I did wrong.  What did you do wrong that caused that catastrophic failure?  Was there a voltage surge?  And if so, why?
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Grumpy_Mike

Aug 24, 2013, 09:18 am Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013, 09:22 pm by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
No idea what I did wrong.

Nick Gammon

The sad thing is, I'm not sure.

I was testing something when I spotted the blue smoke.

I hastily did stuff*, and it went away. However I'm not sure what it was that caused it, although I suspect a couple of wires connected to my battery shorted.

Everything lying on my bench seems to be still working.

* panicked
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

cjdelphi

You've never smoked a chip!.. they taste awful :D

um, after  my 3rd switching regulator from accidental reverse polarity on the input and watching the regulator and capacitor blow... yeah fun, not.

that was about 8 months ago, i vowed never to destroy one again like that again.

Osgeld

yea I killed a NI boost controller, worked fine until it started shooting blue sparks between a couple of pins

the data sheet had a list of all the pins that were a max of 5 volts, except for one which we dropped 12 into, which apparently made it go nutty on its output

oh well, for the record the TI controllers are much nicer, the only way I have killed one of those was firing it up with no load or zener on its output, but it just failed gracefully
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

wizdum

Aug 26, 2013, 06:44 am Last Edit: Aug 26, 2013, 06:48 am by wizdum Reason: 1
I smoked a few Atmega328's working on a recent project. I was working with an automotive relay that switched a car horn. I had a diode across the coil, but nothing on the car horn (since the relay isolated it from the rest o the circuit). It worked great until I added a 12v piezo siren to the project as well. Since I was using a transistor to switch the piezo, I had to connect the ground for the atmega to the ground for the 12v supply. Thus, my circuit was no longer isolated from the noisy 12v supply and car horn (DUH). Luckily I bought the 328's in bulk so I only burned up about $6.

There was also the incident with a 60" plasma TV and its 200v power transistors that I have already mentioned on here.... That was a bit more costly. I don't know what the amperage was on that power supply, but it produced a significant fountain of sparks.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Go Up