Go Down

Topic: optimize code for stepping stepper motor (Read 497 times) previous topic - next topic

titous

hi everyone.  I was hoping you all could help me in optimizing some stepper code (and learn something new!).  the advantage of optimizing it a bit further is that i can potentially run more steppers at the same time.  since upgrading to the due, i'm not sure of how to fully optimize.  here is what i'm working with:

Code: [Select]
// function responsible for stepping (throwing step pin HIGH/LOW)
void Engine::step(void) {

unsigned long _time = micros(); // i'm guessing this could be optimized, but how?

// handles the case of time overflow, which occurs at about 70 minutes for micros;
  // so if _time overflows (goes back to 0) and our last step time is huge, let's reset it
  if (_time < _lastStepTime) {
    _lastStepTime = 0;
  }

// responsible for stepping high
  if (_time >= _lastStepTime + _currentSpeed && !_stepCycle) { // only step HIGH after _currentSpeed has passed
    if (_stepActive) {
      digitalWriteDirect(_stepPin, HIGH); // step HIGH
    }
    _stepCycle = true;
    _lastStepTime = _time;

// increment our absolute position based on direction traveled
    if (_dir) {
      _absPos++;
    } else {
      _absPos--;
    }
  }

// responsible for stepping low
  if (_time >= _lastStepTime + _lowStepWait && _stepCycle) { // we can step LOW after a short period and if we have already stepped HIGH
    if (_stepActive) {
      digitalWriteDirect(_stepPin, LOW); // step LOW
    }
    _stepCycle = false;
    _lastStepTime = _time;
  }
}

i'm aware that on the Uno there is a much faster way of checking micros() directly from the registry through TCNT1; i wonder if we can do this for the Due? 

how about any further optimization?  i'm guessing there isn't any other blaring change.. any help is much appreciated!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy