Go Down

Topic: STK500 vs Arduino Uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

absolutely

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the STK500 vs Arduino Uno.

Just to confirm:
1. The STK500 can replace the microcontroller easily and the Arduino Uno can't?
2. The STK500 is used in professional environment because it can use low level language?

I feel Arduino is superior over STK500 but some websites still promote STK500 more. I am wondering why and it might be because of the points above. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

joe mcd

The STK500 is a professional development board for a variety of Atmel chips.  If you use an STK500 as step1 then building your own microcontroller  circuit board is step2.  Leaving an STK500 in a project is not a realistic option.

Arduino is much easier to use but not as versatile.  The usual tradeoff.  Neither is superior.  Everything depends on the intended use.

Check out http://www.avrfreaks.net/.   If you are not comfortable with that level of expertise, then stick with Arduino.

Nick Gammon

2. The STK500 is used in professional environment because it can use low level language?

You can use low-level language on the Arduino, but almost never need to. That's what the C++ compiler is there for.
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

westfw

The STK500 is a professional development board for a variety of Atmel chips.

It's also worth noting that the STK500 is a very OLD "professional development board."  It doesn't have any USB connectivity at all, for instance.  In addition to the STK500, you'll need a USB/RS232 converter and a power supply before you can do anything.

Arduino includes boards that use the same sort of socket as the STK500, so on SOME arduinos you can "replace the microcontroller" about as easily as you can on the STK500.  The STK500 has a BUNCH of sockets (as shown in the photo), so it supports many more types of AVR microcontroller.

The STK500 is (was) used in professional environments mostly because it is an officially supported tool from the chip manufacturer, that supports a lot of different chips, and is supported by the official tools "Atmel Studio" and "AVR Studio."

Note that the TERM "stk500" is also used to describe the communications protocol used between the stk500 board or other device programmer and your computer.  The Arduino uses the same stk500 communications protocol for its "upload" function.

JoeN

At the risk of beating an old meme to death:

1.  Order samples from Atmel
2.  Build your own board from scratch (note:  not hard at all).
3.  Program it with AVRISP mkII hardware and the software programmer included in Atmel Studio (you can still use the Arduino development environment, just use the Atmel Studio programmer to shoot the ELF file up to the chip)
4.  PROFIT!
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

absolutely

Thanks a lot for your inputs!  ;)

Go Up