Go Down

Topic: Throttle (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

WireJunky

I'm making an 'Iron Man' inspired type of repulser, but I want it to do stuff besides lighting up. I made a hydrogen generator a few days ago, and I want to implement thrusters into the glove. My plan is to put EMG sensors on my arms, and the more I flex, the more thrust is added. The only problem is that I have no idea what to use to control the throttle. It's dealing with gas, so it needs to be air tight. It can't be 2-position only, so it needs to be able to be controlled by PWM. Preferably by using an Arduino board. Any ideas? Maybe a servo attached to a ball valve or something of the sort?

joshuabardwell

Why hydrogen? Why not propane? Variable-position propane valves are commonplace. I'm sure you could find one that would suit your needs. But, given that you're thinking of using a "ball valve and servo" to handle a flammable gas, maybe it'd be better to leave this one be. This may be one of those projects where, if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it.

WireJunky

Why hydrogen? Why not propane? Variable-position propane valves are commonplace. I'm sure you could find one that would suit your needs. But, given that you're thinking of using a "ball valve and servo" to handle a flammable gas, maybe it'd be better to leave this one be. This may be one of those projects where, if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it.

I'm using hydrogen because I can produce it on-board and it has more thrust. This project is all about thrust. And if I knew how to throttle it, I wouldn't be making the question. I just threw a ball valve and a servo out there as a crap shoot.

joshuabardwell

I see. You're actually looking to make a working thruster, not just a simulated thruster that shoots fire. Sorry--over my pay grade. Best of luck.

WireJunky

Okay, so I think I know how I'm going to do throttle, but I need to use it in a liquid fuel system anyway. So, does anyone here know how to cool stuff below -500 degrees Fahrenheit?

Go Up