Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Solved 10k potentiometer not fitting in the breadboard  (Read 7943 times)
Monza, Italy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I'm writing this topic to share my personal experience with the potentiometers in the Starter kit.
I noticed that projects 5, 10, 11 and 14 require the 10k potentiometer found in the kit, but the breadboard view on the book is a bit messy. It shows you have to place it with the central pin facing away from the arduino and the two pins on the other side facing towards it, but the image doesn't represent the real space occupied by the potentiometer, it's schematic, in the diagram it occupies only 2 columns instead of 5 (just check one of these projects and you'll understand what I'm talking about). Since the potentiometer has a 5x3 pins dimension, by placing it in the way illustrated by the book you'll end up placing the middle pin wire (the one that goes into the analog pin) right under the potentiometer, because it occupies all the 5 columns of the breadboard, and there's not enough space to connect it beside the potentiometer. Every time I turned the potentiometer, I had to keep pushing it on the breadboard, and as I stopped pressing, the two pins jumped off, so the potentiometer was attached to the breadboard with the central one only. Then I tried placing it between the two sections of the breadboard, so I had space to wire the central pin in the right side and the two extarnal in the left one, but now the central pin kept jumping off. I was about to ask for advice here on the forum, but then I had an idea. I bent one of the two external pins like in this photo:

And I placed it rotated by 90° counterclockwise. Since now the potentiometer occupies only 3 columns i had enough space to connect the wires without problems, and now i don't have to push down it anymore. It just works fine, as it should be. Try it yourself, I'd like to know if the problem is only mine. I hope I've helped someone getting stuck with my same problem smiley-wink. Did something wrong? Is the problem only mine? Or you've experienced the same thing? Any better solution?
I've found someone in this section with the same problem: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=160322.0
Let me know!
Bye,
SimoDK
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:34:52 pm by SimoDK » Logged

View Profile

You're a GENIUS!
Thank you very much for this optimal solution!

View Profile

There is no "like" button here?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: