Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Due / Cross Compiler  (Read 1264 times)
nothing worth doing was ever easy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey folks,

Quick question, what is the cross compiler / library being used for the Adruino Due for OS X? With GCC and avrlib it was fairly easy to dig deeper than the Arduino IDE. I'm on OS X and can't download AVRStudio. Does ARM work the same way? I'm just looking for some good references.

Cheers,
mike
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:24:54 pm by dezguy » Logged

UK
God Member
View Profile

GCC also exists for the ARM CPU that the SAM devices utilse - Atmel Studio (It is no longer called AVRStudio, as it supports other devices not just the AVR chips, so it's now called Atmel Studio) also includes a few other compilers. Here's a quote from the product page.

The Atmel AVR® and ARM® Cortex™-M processor-based microcontrollers are also supported by third-party compilers including IAR Embedded Workbench® and Keil™.

There is a lot of free code available to use with the SAM devices inside the 'Atmel Software Framework'.

View Profile

Thanks,that makes sense. I'll download that and dig around.

Cheers,
Mike

Venezuela
God Member
Ground, ground, always ground
View Profile

Hello dezguy,

As you are going to mess with the ASF, prepare to meet Atmel's hell.- I speak from my own experience. Too much junk code! It's like the Amazon rainforest. It's very easy to get lost in it. So far I have ported a couple of libraries from ASF to Due. A much better start to understand the SAM core is to get familiar with the Arduino libsam library.

...\arduino-1.5.2-windows\arduino-1.5.2\hardware\arduino\sam\system\libsam 

There you will find the source and include SAM drivers like ADC, PIO, PMC, RTC, TWI, etc. The duo Arduino-Atmel did a great job in it that deserves the benefit of a close look. Good luck!

Nashville Tennessee, USA
View Profile

The arduino ide uses the Codesourcery toolchain, in linux the actual compiler executable is arm-none-eabi-g++.

You should be able to use the Eclipse IDE on OS X with the stock arduino libraries, it is working great for me on ubuntu. I found some work by Nassa and Zad in this forum that gave me enough hints to get it going on linux. The thread was titled [Q]: Tailoring the Due to Eclipse..

If you are interested I can give some of the details of how I got it working.

View Profile

Thanks all smiley I appreciate the responses.

Cheers,
Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: