Go Down

Topic: XBMC TableTop controller (Read 2159 times) previous topic - next topic

roli

Here is one of my latest crazy projects. I am using XBMC as a media center software on my HTPC and I don't like pushing pause to see "where in the show I am". I also don't like the remote as much. So I designed this little thing as a quick project. It's a basic XBMC controller. It has enough buttons to control most often used XBMC features and I also modifying the software so it can interface with my home automation system. It has an LCD that basically shows what is currently playing and it's progress (with a nifty progress bar included).

This was a quick design and everything (circuit, software and the case) was done in three days. So forgive me if the case isn't the best looking one - I think it looks like some sort of weird industrial thing. Part of the case also unstuck from the 3D printer while it was printing so it's a bit bent around the edges.

And when the XBMC is turned on and nothing is playing:

If anyone is interested I can of course post the schematic and the software (it's written in Java so it should work on Linux/Mac/Windows).

baselsw

Looks interesting.. Good job btw! I would like to see the guts on this thing.. Do you mind posting some pictures showing the board and such..??

//Basel

strykeroz

If anyone is interested I can of course post the schematic and the software (it's written in Java so it should work on Linux/Mac/Windows).
Hi,

Very interested for sure.  We run OpenElec on several RPi here, not all have CEC remote contol TVs and that looks a good deal more compact than grabbing a wireless keyboard and as you say the progress bar is a sweet touch.  Would like to see what you've done in more detail and see if we couldn't adapt it to be a wireless control centre for our coffee table.

Thanks for sharing,
Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

roli

There are really only two main components to this. An arduino PCB and a 24x2 character LCD (this one to be exact: http://uk.farnell.com/powertip/pc2402lrs-awa-b-q/lcd-module-24x2-led-b-l/dp/1671511?Ntt=167-1511 ). I would add a picture of the board but I don't have any - I slightly miscalculated the bottom plate so the only way too keep it on was to glue it in place. But I can give you the PCB design:

This is the smallest that I could go with at home PCB design. Anything else would probably be impossible to make with a toner transfer method. You'll see that the serial port is connected to two pins. That's because I am using an external serial converter. I am using a Nokia DKU-5 cable (they are using a prolific PL2303 controller and they are dirty cheap on ebay, but you can use an external FTDI board or anything that you want). As for wireless - I guess it's possible but it will need some work. I went with wired because I don't want to change/recharge the batteries all the time.

I'll upload the code as soon as I finish adding a GUI for the XBMC connection settings (should be later today).

roli

Here you go:
https://github.com/r00li/XBMC-TableTop-Controller

A little later than promised. I included the Arduino and Java source code, the PCB design and the case design. It's a bit thrown together so there may be some bugs. I am here if you have any questions.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy