Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Enhanced Serial Monitor (11 Visulisers, sample code) - DOWNLOAD available  (Read 17001 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Wow!  Lot of capabilities there!

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Derbyshire, UK
View Profile

Sorry if I have missed something, but what is the current status of this? It sounds brilliant, but the only link I can find has a warning above it saying not to download it. Is there a stable version yet: if so, where would I find it?

UK
pt
View Profile

Sorry if I have missed something, but what is the current status of this? It sounds brilliant, but the only link I can find has a warning above it saying not to download it. Is there a stable version yet: if so, where would I find it?

There was insufficient interest shown by the community to justify me freezing a build version and allowing it to be downloaded. So I just keep on using it and updating the features as I need them (auto scaling has been added, for example, to the scope style trace).

I was expecting more interest as this adds a shed load of information to the developer...

If more interest can be generated then I'll look into letting it out again.

Cheers Alan

sig

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Hi Alan,

Think it is a pity you do not provide a latest (BETA) version of your Serial tool, so please reconsider.

I have written several classes/libs for Arduino and posted them on the playground and for most of them there was little feedback too, especially after the first days. So I recognize your argument.
Still by keeping providing the (almost) latest version I collected valuable feedback over time - yes, in small amounts with large intervals - But sometimes I get a thank you mail or I find a lib back in some university project, indicating there is more interest than on first sight.

I rest my case smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Leicester, MA USA
Arduino newbie
View Profile

This may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to monitor 4 sensors (3 temp and one flow meter) and plot data to a graph. I'll have to play with this and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

UK
pt
View Profile

This may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to monitor 4 sensors (3 temp and one flow meter) and plot data to a graph. I'll have to play with this and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

I can send you a copy to try if you are interested.

Cheers Alan

sig

UK
pt
View Profile

Hi Alan,

Think it is a pity you do not provide a latest (BETA) version of your Serial tool, so please reconsider.

I have written several classes/libs for Arduino and posted them on the playground and for most of them there was little feedback too, especially after the first days. So I recognize your argument.
Still by keeping providing the (almost) latest version I collected valuable feedback over time - yes, in small amounts with large intervals - But sometimes I get a thank you mail or I find a lib back in some university project, indicating there is more interest than on first sight.

I rest my case smiley-wink

I'll send out individual copies to interested parties so I can keep an eye on it more easily then review the situation.

cheers Alan

sig

View Profile

fantastic work .. where to download?

I developed this app for chrome idea very similar but less complete as your

http://www.dataino.it/help/document_tutorial.php?id=13

* DatainoSerial.png (258.83 KB, 800x620 - viewed 96 times.)

UK
pt
View Profile

fantastic work .. where to download?

I developed this app for chrome idea very similar but less complete as your

http://www.dataino.it/help/document_tutorial.php?id=13

That looks very interesting.

I'll work on a build this week and some sample code and docs so its easy to get going and email it to those who have asked to have a look at it.

sig

View Profile

language with which you have developed?

UK
pt
View Profile

language with which you have developed?

This is .NET

sig

UK
pt
View Profile

I'll add you to the posting list

sig

View Profile

Alan thanks for the direct link to download your application. Most impressed installed/run without any problems and the sample code shows its capabilities well.
Alan I'm not up to speed yet with Processing but is this written in Processing and if not what program have you used.
Have you thought of providing a method by which a user can call up modules like the charting from another sketch e.g. a Data Logger sketch calling your XY plotter.

Alan keep developing, I'm happy to assist with some beta testing if you like

Ray Bright   

UK
pt
View Profile

Alan thanks for the direct link to download your application. Most impressed installed/run without any problems and the sample code shows its capabilities well.
Alan I'm not up to speed yet with Processing but is this written in Processing and if not what program have you used.
Have you thought of providing a method by which a user can call up modules like the charting from another sketch e.g. a Data Logger sketch calling your XY plotter.

Alan keep developing, I'm happy to assist with some beta testing if you like

Ray Bright   

It is written in .NET. I found Processing too hard to extend to a 'full' application. Not saying it can't be done but I don't have a background in Processing.

Can you explain what you would like? I'm not sure I understand "calling from another sketch". Currently from the Arduino you can send data to the serial monitor that invokes any of the visualizers, you don't have to use only one at a time. If you mean can a single message from the Arduino to the serial monitor can be forwarded onto other visualizers then I have toyed with the idea of writing an event driven mechanism I have been thinking about the following. A message arrives at a visualizer on the serial monitor and then some user supplied script on the serial monitor decides how to decode the message pack and invoke one or more other visualizers - a kind of simplistic programming. However I haven't had a need for it so no effort has gone into it.

Other things on the wish list are:

• A visualizer that receives the data stream and performs simple transformation to make it suitable for spreadsheets etc
  • Filtering the Monitor/Copy output to selectively show messages of a particular type only
  • User defined visualizers from definition files allowing layout of controls (like dials and gauges, sliders and buttons, graphs etc)
  • Redirection of data via IPC mechanisms on the PC to 3rd party programs (possibly two way)
  • Data extraction from existing visualizers - eg the data that makes up the current on screen plot
  • Convenient screen grab mechanism for images from visualizer
  • Wii Nunchuk visualizer
  • Plugin code to allow user defined processing. Previously done with VBscript which was exceptionally powerful but was impossible to verify the user's code before running so presents some really difficult implementation issues.
  • Improvements to existing visualizers
  • Alternate sources of data in place of the serial stream
  • Visualizers for popular algorithms such PID controlller, Complimentary filters, etc so tuning of parameters can be done via the serial monitor tool
  • Coming up with a good name for the tool...
  • ... and who knows what! Always interested to hear people's ideas but ideally trying to keep as an 'easy to use' type of tool yet gives a good amount of functionality for the effort.

sig

UK
pt
View Profile

There is a version for trial available now. Let me know your email address and I'll send you a link.

sig

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Jump to: