Go Down

Topic: Axial / 'inline' stud connector (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jtw11

Sep 06, 2013, 12:05 pm Last Edit: Sep 06, 2013, 12:08 pm by jtw11 Reason: 1
Hello all,

In this day and age - everything seems to exist - except for what I'm after.

Of course, normal high power ring terminals exist to connect high power cables to other cables / devices / studs. However, i'm looking for an inline solution, so that the cable does not connect at right angles - I know there are of course mil-spec connectors that achieve just this - but I just want to be able to screw down a power cable inline with a power stud, such a solution would just be a simple two piece contact - however, I just can't think what the name of them would be if they exist, so can't seem to find them.

These must exist?

Failing this, I suppose just bend a ring terminal 90 degrees and cover it with a boot - but, that's not directly inline. I don't like mess, some may call it OCD.

MarkT

Do you mean bullet connectors as used in RC models - try looking on eBay for "4mm bullet connector" or similar
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

jtw11

Nope, the solution i'm after needs to carry in excess of 100A - just like a large ring terminal bolted down against a threaded stud.

However, I don't want to bolt the high power cable at 90deg to the stud, but rather inline. So a two piece connector, one which is crimped to the cable at one end and is collared at one end, whilst a threaded collar bolts the whole assembly down onto the stud.

TomGeorge

Try  Anderson Powerpole connectors, RS and Element 14, and the Anderson Powerpole site..
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/singlepole-connectors.html
will be a start.
Tom. 8)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

jtw11

Hi Tom,

Nope - not that sort I'm afraid. There's a metal threaded stud on a device, and I want to thread something axially onto that, not at 90 degrees. I guess what I'm after dosen't exist.

majenko

jtw11

Failing this, I suppose just bend a ring terminal 90 degrees and cover it with a boot - but, that's not directly inline. I don't like mess, some may call it OCD.

Yep, that's what I'm going to have to do - just would like a tidier solution... Tough, I guess :-)

SirNickity

They have a Speakon connector for power.  It's yellow instead of blue I think.  Don't know exactly what the current ratings are, but it could be 100A.

Chagrin

If you're really that OCD you could make your own connector in a fashion similar to some coax connectors or, as would be used in plumbing, a flare nut. You'd need a brass "coupling nut" and a brass washer to solder on one end of the coupling nut to constrict the ID. A steel coupling nut and washer would also work if you have access to a welder, or if you have a lathe and tap/die set just make it yourself.

To prevent the wire from pulling through the washer's ID just give it a large blob of solder. You could also do that in a neater fashion by drilling a blind hole of appropriate diameter into a block of aluminum, sticking the wire inside the hole, and then filling it with solder.

Henry_Best

If you're really that OCD you could make your own connector in a fashion similar to some coax connectors or, as would be used in plumbing, a flare nut. You'd need a brass "coupling nut" and a brass washer to solder on one end of the coupling nut to constrict the ID. A steel coupling nut and washer would also work if you have access to a welder, or if you have a lathe and tap/die set just make it yourself.

To prevent the wire from pulling through the washer's ID just give it a large blob of solder. You could also do that in a neater fashion by drilling a blind hole of appropriate diameter into a block of aluminum, sticking the wire inside the hole, and then filling it with solder.

How do you get solder to 'stick' to aluminium?

Henry_Best

Hello all,

In this day and age - everything seems to exist - except for what I'm after.

Of course, normal high power ring terminals exist to connect high power cables to other cables / devices / studs. However, i'm looking for an inline solution, so that the cable does not connect at right angles - I know there are of course mil-spec connectors that achieve just this - but I just want to be able to screw down a power cable inline with a power stud, such a solution would just be a simple two piece contact - however, I just can't think what the name of them would be if they exist, so can't seem to find them.

These must exist?

You haven't said if you want this to be a permanent connection or a removable one.

Chagrin

How do you get solder to 'stick' to aluminium?

The hole acts as a mold so an even, cylindrical blob can be created on the end of the wire. The non-stickiness is the benefit of using aluminum.

MarkT

Nope, the solution i'm after needs to carry in excess of 100A - just like a large ring terminal bolted down against a threaded stud.

What makes you think RC connectors don't handle that kind of current?  200A with 6.5mm bullet connectors:
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/castle_connectors.html
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

cr0sh

What makes you think RC connectors don't handle that kind of current?  200A with 6.5mm bullet connectors:

The OP hasn't stated what his power source is; it may be that he wants to connect the wires inline to existing power studs on his power supply, in such a manner that standard lugs or such won't work properly (maybe due to space constraints or something).

That said, I can't think of what this power supply would be - I suppose a battery could have studs (side terminal battery have threaded lugs you bolt into; I could imagine a brass/bronze/copper stud threaded into such, then something screwed on to those - I could also imagine such a battery having similar lugs on top, instead of the standard lead terminals) - or maybe it's some kind of capacitor-based supply (I've seen larger caps with studs before).

I mean, if he really needed large amperage inline push connectors - then the connectors used on welding cable extensions would work fine...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

jtw11

Thanks for all your replies - however, as a few of you have read - I needed a solution to mate up to an existing power stud, so short of sending a design out for manufacture, I'll have to settle for a 90deg bend ring terminal and a slide over boot.

Cheers!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy