Go Down

Topic: what the hell is a computer chip? .rant (Read 528 times) previous topic - next topic

eddiea6987

I was reading an article about a business card that has a "computer chip" to let you access certain areas of a city.

The media uses this term a lot but what the hell is a computer chip?
If the chip is inside the card was it pulled out of a computer and then placed there? Because the card is not a computer so how is it a computer chip?

Is a computer chip a microcontroller? Then why not just say so.
If its just an RFID that's not even a microcontroller ...

Is a computer chip a CPU?

Such a vague term if you ask me.

If I rip an etc off a mother board and use it is that considered a computer chip??

Or is just any IC considered a computer chip?
So a resistor array alone is a pretty useless computer chip
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

retrolefty

Yes, in my opinion the mass media most likely thinks that any integrated circuit device be best described as a 'computer chip'. It's not the worst media does in trying to communicate technical/scientific information to the general public in my opinion.

Lefty

JoeN

Yes, in my opinion the mass media most likely thinks that any integrated circuit device be best described as a 'computer chip'. It's not the worst media does in trying to communicate technical/scientific information to the general public in my opinion.

Lefty

Sure, it's any chip (IC) that could conceivably be used to implement a computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_chip

"Computer Chip" on Wikipedia takes you to Integrated Circuit, the more formal term.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy