Go Down

Topic: what the hell is a computer chip? .rant (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic

eddiea6987

I was reading an article about a business card that has a "computer chip" to let you access certain areas of a city.

The media uses this term a lot but what the hell is a computer chip?
If the chip is inside the card was it pulled out of a computer and then placed there? Because the card is not a computer so how is it a computer chip?

Is a computer chip a microcontroller? Then why not just say so.
If its just an RFID that's not even a microcontroller ...

Is a computer chip a CPU?

Such a vague term if you ask me.

If I rip an etc off a mother board and use it is that considered a computer chip??

Or is just any IC considered a computer chip?
So a resistor array alone is a pretty useless computer chip
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

retrolefty

Yes, in my opinion the mass media most likely thinks that any integrated circuit device be best described as a 'computer chip'. It's not the worst media does in trying to communicate technical/scientific information to the general public in my opinion.

Lefty

JoeN

Yes, in my opinion the mass media most likely thinks that any integrated circuit device be best described as a 'computer chip'. It's not the worst media does in trying to communicate technical/scientific information to the general public in my opinion.

Lefty

Sure, it's any chip (IC) that could conceivably be used to implement a computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_chip

"Computer Chip" on Wikipedia takes you to Integrated Circuit, the more formal term.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Go Up