Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Programming - Where do I start?  (Read 1445 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I will get an Arduino board to get my toe in the water, from the research I have come up with to date it seem the Arduino UNO Rev 3 might be a good starter level for a programming novice like myself? Is this a good level to enter?

I will be ordering the books mentioned as I believe good reference books are essential.
Fleetz

yep, IMO, the uno R3 is a good start .
As an EE, I would be surprised if you hadn't a lot of components in your garage, just waiting for you to use them  smiley-lol
Maybe you should begin with a  good "learning C" book . You'll be able to write a lot of sketches and make your Uno do a lot, just using C . And when you become familiar with both arduino and C, go ahead with C++.
I think it is easier to understand C++ when you already understand C, but maybe it's only me  smiley-wink

Idaho, US
Edison Member
Special User
View Profile

The Arduino Uno is probably the best to start with.
I don't have an Uno, so I may be biased, but I quite like being able to plug my Nano into my breadboard to keep everything solidly together in one sturdy unit.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The Arduino Uno is probably the best to start with.
I don't have an Uno, so I may be biased, but I quite like being able to plug my Nano into my breadboard to keep everything solidly together in one sturdy unit.

Well the nano and the Uno are both based on a 328P chip running at 16Mhz so from a IDE software perspective they really are the same boards, just the form factor and possibly bootloader are different. I've loaded the Uno's optiboot loader onto my nano and from then on I select the Uno board in the IDE, so you can see a Uno and a Nano are really the same board from a sketch programming sense.

Lefty

Illinois
Retired Industrial Automation Tech
View Profile

One thing I like about the Uno is it's limited resources forces one to write efficient code. I've gotten lazy using variables when constants would do, adding code to cover-up for  poor structure, not writing debug versions and so forth.  

Do you know what this means? It means that this damn thing doesn't work at all!

Phoenix, AZ
Retired engineer still playing with gadgets.
View Profile

Try "The Arduino Cookbook". You can download it here:  < pirate site redacted >
Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:23:20 pm by Nick Gammon » Logged

Cincinnati, OH
God Member
I'm not bossy...I just know what you should be doing.
View Profile

@pmlapl: This is another ripoff site for authors. I just downloaded my own book from this site and it's all there and I know with absolute certainty that this site does NOT have the rights to give my book away. This stealing of books is just that...stealing. You work for almost nine months so some jerk can steal what you worked so hard to finish. There's always going to be someone who's willing to write a book, but experienced authors are starting to realize it's no longer worth the effort.

Adelaide, South Australia
View Profile

So I will get an Arduino board to get my toe in the water, from the research I have come up with to date it seem the Arduino UNO Rev 3 might be a good starter level for a programming novice like myself? Is this a good level to enter?

I will be ordering the books mentioned as I believe good reference books are essential.
Fleetz

yep, IMO, the uno R3 is a good start .
As an EE, I would be surprised if you hadn't a lot of components in your garage, just waiting for you to use them  smiley-lol
Maybe you should begin with a  good "learning C" book . You'll be able to write a lot of sketches and make your Uno do a lot, just using C . And when you become familiar with both arduino and C, go ahead with C++.
I think it is easier to understand C++ when you already understand C, but maybe it's only me  smiley-wink

Yes have a ton of electronic bits to get started so the hardware side is a not an issue. In fact I just used a bunch of them to put together an electronic busy board for my 14 moth old grandson. What you suggest makes sense especially if learning C is the precursor to learning C++.

Thanks for the suggestion.....I will look for a good C learning book.

Regards,

Fleetz

Saskatchewan
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
View Profile

The tutorial at cplusplus.com is quite good.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Hamilton, Vic, Aus
View Profile

Oh this is great, im with you Fleetz smiley-wink
Another book i found the best so far in my search, was Beginning Arduino by Michael Roberts, it gives really good explanations of the code as it takes you through some simple projects. (I just have trouble getting some of the information to stick, theres so much of it, overwhelming sometimes.)

@ econjack, i understand your dismay (its why i didnt get into programming a long time ago - pirates), and had a thought for you. Perhaps maybe something could be done to get the Arduino community to contribute, i would be happy to contribute to something like that, as im sure many others would.
Just a suggestion, better in the open than in my mind!

econjack, can you link me to where i can purchase your book, with paypal, and i shall smiley
thanks

good luck to you Fleetz
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:47:22 pm by googs » Logged

View Profile

Oh this is great, im with you Fleetz smiley-wink
Another book i found the best so far in my search, was Beginning Arduino by Michael Roberts, it gives really good explanations of the code as it takes you through some simple projects. (I just have trouble getting some of the information to stick, theres so much of it, overwhelming sometimes.)

@ econjack, i understand your dismay (its why i didnt get into programming a long time ago - pirates), and had a thought for you. Perhaps maybe something could be done to get the Arduino community to contribute, i would be happy to contribute to something like that, as im sure many others would.
Just a suggestion, better in the open than in my mind!

econjack, can you link me to where i can purchase your book, with paypal, and i shall smiley
thanks

good luck to you Fleetz

Hi Googs,

Thanks for that.

I see your in Aus too. Can you recommend any Aus places that are good to buy Arduino and accessories? There are many places online but it seems you don't know if you are going to get a Chinese clone. Think I would prefer to go with an original for the first go.

Jack I too would be interested in a PayPal site where you're book can be purchased.

Cheers,

Fleetz

Cincinnati, OH
God Member
View Profile

googs and Fleetz:

You can buy it at a discount on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Arduino-Learn-Programming/dp/1430247762/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_1_9815

Also, you can look inside and read part of it. As I said before, pointers are tough for some people so that's something you might look at. Use the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon (look at the cover image on the left side of the page), go to page 47 and read through to page 51. After doing that, you'd be ready for Chapters 8 and 9, both on pointers. (I tried using the Look Inside feature a second time, and it cut me off after two pages. You can close the page, reload it, and then read some more by scrolling down in the TOC and picking a page number. The little section I mention talks about symbol tables and the Bucket Analogy which is more how compilers work under a full op system, but the principles are basically the same.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:00:32 pm by econjack » Logged

Hamilton, Vic, Aus
View Profile

@ econjack
There you go my friend, please dont give up on account of the selfish, there are still plenty of honest people out there willing to support. See attachement.

Why dont you fill in your location deets Fleetz?

* Amazon.jpg (49.93 KB, 1052x199 - viewed 25 times.)

View Profile

@ econjack
There you go my friend, please dont give up on account of the selfish, there are still plenty of honest people out there willing to support. See attachement.

Why dont you fill in your location deets Fleetz?

Duly filled in Googs.

Jack soon as I make the call to buy a Arduino I will buy your book...

Cincinnati, OH
God Member
View Profile

Thanks, guys! The real cost of such sites is not the buck or two I lose in the process. (Indeed, I'm writing another Arduino book right now and know I probably won't even make minimum wage on it.)  The real cost is the potential loss of a great book that never gets written because the potential author knows it's not worth the effort. We all lose then.

View Profile

Thanks, guys! The real cost of such sites is not the buck or two I lose in the process. (Indeed, I'm writing another Arduino book right now and know I probably won't even make minimum wage on it.)  The real cost is the potential loss of a great book that never gets written because the potential author knows it's not worth the effort. We all lose then.

Hi Jack,

Just an update. Finally got around to purchasing a UNO and started my programming journey. Today I placed an order on Amazon and ordered your book. Having it sent to a friend in San Francisco who I will be visiting late in November, the postage to Australia was nearly as much as the book. Anyway it worked out given I have a planned visit. Will give me something to read on the long haul back to Australia.

Looking forward to reading your book.

Regards,

Fleetz

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: