Go Down

Topic: link sprite sim900 GSM/GPRS (Read 3556 times) previous topic - next topic

Abdullah_Qahtan

Hello
I have purchased a link sprite sim900 GSM/GPRS shield and I want to use it with arduino Uno to send and receive SMS message
I tried the Examples that are attached with arduino-1.0.4 but it didn't work
for the sendsms example , the serial monitor show the following message only :
SMS Messages Sender

Can anyone help me , please.
Thank you in advance

hugo007

Sep 09, 2013, 10:52 pm Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013, 10:57 pm by HugoPT Reason: 1
Did you set the jumpers of the Virtual Serial port correctly?
Post one picture of your modem with the jumpers set
Did you power it using an external power source?
You must use an external power source because this modem need about 2 A when some operation are made(call, receive SMS ...) and the usb port is not able to supply that.
Taken from SIM900 datasheet

The power supply range of SIM900 is from 3.2V to 4.8V
. The transmitting burst will cause voltage drop and the
power supply must be able to provide sufficient current up to 2A. For the VBAT input, a bypass capacitor (low
ESR) such as a 100 ?F is
strongly recommended; this capacitor should
be placed as close as possible to SIM900
VBAT pins. The following figure is the reference design of +5V input power supply. The designed output for the
power supply is 4.1V, thus a linear regulator can be used.

Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

Abdullah_Qahtan

Did you set the jumpers of the Virtual Serial port correctly? yes I did, I set it as it mentioned in the datasheet
Post one picture of your modem with the jumpers set
Did you power it using an external power source? No , I saw a video for testing the same shield(Link sprite sim900)  at YouTube.com and they used it without external power source
Moreover, I tried to work with my shield without using sim card and the result was the same (the two leds for sim status were flashing)

pgmartin

Have you seen this tutorial: http://tronixstuff.com/2013/09/18/tutorial-arduino-sim900-gsm-modules
Use always an external power soure. I´ve used a 5V 1Amp wall wart and worked fine.

Go Up