Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Eagle - Many package connections to one device pin?  (Read 1835 times)
Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Another Eagle component library question - if you have a package that has several pins all connected internally together (multiple grounds for example) is it possible to connect these all to the same pin in the device / symbol?

The pins to pads connection process seems to be a one to one relationship. I tried renaming the pads to the same name but it won't allow that... is there any other trick?

Cheers

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think it's the Append button in the Connect dialog.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

For things like multiple GNDs, I name them GND1, GND2, GND2, etc, and then make sure they are all connected on the schematic.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

Yup. Make one connection as normal, then select each additional pin in turn, pressing append after selecting.

~Tom~

Faraday Member
View Profile

There's a trick for that; IIRC it involves @ in the name.  e.g. pins GND@1 GND@2 GND@3 are all GND.

Do some googling and you'll find details.

-j

Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile

Ah yes - append what I needed - screamingly obvious when you know!
Thanks

Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile

Spoke too soon - the Append isn't quite what I needed since Eagle will still run a ghost wire between the two pads and expect them to be connected with a trace, whereas they are electrically connected on the physical device, so the trace is unnecessary.

I looked at the @ option too but that seems to require a symbol pin for each connected pad. The example I have is a battery holder, so obviously I want a standard 2 pin battery symbol for the circuit...

Faraday Member
View Profile

I looked at the @ option too but that seems to require a symbol pin for each connected pad. The example I have is a battery holder, so obviously I want a standard 2 pin battery symbol for the circuit...
I think you call the one on the symbol GND, but it will want all of the GND@X pins connected on the PCB.

You don't have to connect all of the pins to the device, so you can have GND, GND2, and + pins on the package, but only have GND and + on the device.  This would leave you with a permanently isolated pad on the board (so you have mechanical mounting) but no electrical connection.

For example, here's a coin cell battery holder from the Sparkfun eagle library that has a large SMT pad for one side of the battery and two through-holes which are electrically connected on the battery holder, but only one of them is connected in the library device and the results is the electrically isolated through-hole.

Is that what you're after?

-j

Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile

Not quite - I want to be able to connect to either of the hole pads on a layout by layout basis, and want it to know that they are electrically connected/equivalent without having to connect them myself via PCB traces.

From looking at what Sparkfun have done, I think it's safe to assume I can't.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

This is a common Eagle question, and no, it can't be done. Crossroads' advice is the way to go.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: