Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: is anybody using the Forth language ?  (Read 494 times)
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

if so, could you explain me the advantages ?
it was said that it could help you to rapid prototype about robotic stuff, i wandering why.

Also, could you suggest
- a pretty implementation of Forth in C
- a pretty book/doc that could train about "thinking in Forth"
- a pretty example of usage in real life

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

If you search Forth here in the forum, you should come across the several topics that have discussed it in the last 2+ years.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
View Profile

well, i have difficulties finding threads about Forth with the search function, i tried before opening this tread, my be an issued of safari on my iPad, anyway have you any specific link ? have you discussed all the questions i asked ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Ok, me too.
BUT - a google search for "AVR Forth Arduino" brings up a lot of good hits, I think you can find what you want there.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

NSW Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Having worked on it in the past (25-odd years ago), I would think it excellent for use on the Arduino.

Apart from conciseness, its strength is its immediate mode - you just type in instructions and it performs them, much like BASIC but much faster.

Just looked into it following a recent thread.  The problem appears to be that implementations are either encumbered, including those by FORTH Inc., or somewhat rudimentary.  The classic "Starting FORTH" book is however immediately available in HTML.  Trouble is, you need to find a classic FORTH implementation to run so that you can work through the book.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I thought I'd include this quote that appeared on another forum, since it has some scathing things to say that I basically agree with:
But that is not really the most annoying part. The annoying part is that "they" always try to sell you Forth as a cult, a philosophy, a religion. If you read the 30 year old publications of the FIG or old books about Forth, and there isn't much new material available, it is always about "everyone else does it wrong, tomorrow Forth will concur the world, go with the program or you will be extinct". I didn't like that then, I don't like it today. Imminent world domination since decades ... And it always comes with stupid stuff like "tho shall have no real editor", "tho shall have no real file system" "tho shall not use variables".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: