Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: is there anyway to make smaller antenna for FPV system ?  (Read 1242 times)
Lebanon
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello guys,
i have this antenna that comes with the FPV system (attachment file)
but i need to know how to make one myself that is not huge as this one i want it the smallest possible for 900mhz FPV system : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21327

i need the antenna to have a good look and the smallest possible and the best range because i want to put it on an rc car but dont want it to be ugly so any idea ?

* antenna.jpg (87.41 KB, 565x414 - viewed 23 times.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:13:53 am by firashelou » Logged

Aiming for the unreachable !

Australia
View Profile

Its not possible to make the antenna smaller without adversly affecting the range.
Depends on how far you want to transmit.

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

Its not possible to make the antenna smaller without adversly affecting the range.
Depends on how far you want to transmit.

i want to transmitt about 150m or 200m on ground not on flight

and if not possible to make it smaller then can i make it flexible and attach it to the body of the car without affecting the range ?

SF Bay area
View Profile

these from hobbyking, but for 2.4 and 5.8ghz

I don't know if you can make any smaller antenna for 900mhz system

View Profile

actually you are in luck. since it's 900MHz, you'll find planty of different antennas on ebay. just look for GSM antennas (yes - for cell phones).
it all dependes on your transmitter's output power, but i'd imagine that you could easily install tiny antenna on your RC car, and compensate for weeker signal by using higher gain antenna with your reciever.
that's how people usually do fpv - small stuff in the air/field/whatever and high gain antenna (usually directional btw) next to the monitor

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

actually you are in luck. since it's 900MHz, you'll find planty of different antennas on ebay. just look for GSM antennas (yes - for cell phones).
it all dependes on your transmitter's output power, but i'd imagine that you could easily install tiny antenna on your RC car, and compensate for weeker signal by using higher gain antenna with your reciever.
that's how people usually do fpv - small stuff in the air/field/whatever and high gain antenna (usually directional btw) next to the monitor

well i want to build it myself if its possible, and i can't use ebay where i am because it will cost me very big money to get something for 5$ which i can't afford now

@doughboy well those antennas would be great in quality but i am looking for different ones, for example is there anyway to build a rolling antenna like the induction shape and what kind of wire can i use if i want to make something that is similar to an RC car antenna like this one flexible :
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/horizonhobby/LOSA4002_a0?$pdpLand$
but without the cover ?

View Profile

if you really want to build your antennas, then that's how i would do it:

wire antenna for the car:
1/2 or 1/4 wave lenght. your wave lenght is ~333.333mm so the antenna would be 166.666mm (1/2 wave) or 83.333mm (1/4 wave). use copper wire and keep it as straight as possible. curved antenna won't perform too well, but might work for you on short distances.

if you want high gain directional antenna for your reciever:
bi-quad design is probably the simplest to build. you can calculate dimensions here: http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/bi_quad_antenna_designer.php

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:21:05 am by patryk » Logged

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

if you really want to build your antennas, then that's how i would do it:

wire antenna for the car:
1/2 or 1/4 wave lenght. your wave lenght is ~333.333mm so the antenna would be 166.666mm (1/2 wave) or 83.333mm (1/4 wave). use copper wire and keep it as straight as possible. curved antenna won't perform too well, but might work for you on short distances.

if you want high gain directional antenna for your reciever:
bi-quad design is probably the simplest to build. you can calculate dimensions here: http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/bi_quad_antenna_designer.php

aha that's a good info and about keeping it straight can i use for example the glue paper for electronics apps like the skotch i mean or that will affect the transmission ?
and about the width of the wire how much should it be ? 1mm is good or a lot ?

View Profile

any not coductive adhesive should do. i usually use simple hot glue for that stuff
1mm should be fine smiley-wink

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

any not coductive adhesive should do. i usually use simple hot glue for that stuff
1mm should be fine smiley-wink

what do you mean you put hot glue ? oh i was saying to make a cover for the copper wire

View Profile

i would use a wire with insulation on it.  this way you won't have to worry about it. 1 - 1.5 mm^2 copper wire should be riggid enough to keep it's shape on it's own anyways.
in any case any plastic/rubber will do (as long as it's not coductive)

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

i would use a wire with insulation on it.  this way you won't have to worry about it. 1 - 1.5 mm^2 copper wire should be riggid enough to keep it's shape on it's own anyways.
in any case any plastic/rubber will do (as long as it's not coductive)

actuly i have to buy a copper wire without any cover on it, so i have to do my own so that way u saying that adhesive will be good to go smiley
and about the extremity which i want to attach to the RF link, i just have to solder it right ?
this is the rf link i am using is this one 433mhz attachement file:

can i use one of these wires instead of the normal copper wire for antenna ? http://www.ekt2.com/products?cat_id=9c121e12-7483-4034-84e5-cb69f3bebdfa

* rf link.jpg (44.01 KB, 266x262 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:55:38 am by firashelou » Logged

View Profile

youse whatever wire you have. a piece of old extention cable will probably work good btw.
of course you'll have to solder it. how else would you attach it? smiley-wink
the only question is if you want to connect your antenna directlt to the PCB or you want to put it somewhere else in which case you'll need to use a piece of propper coaxial leed (soldering antenna directly would be way easier though).

Lebanon
God Member
View Profile

ok i guess i might 80% need the coaxial i have one already which used it before for satellite, so how would i connect the copper wire to it ?

View Profile

if you have a piece of decent 75 ohm coax, why would you want to attach antenna to it?
just use cable's core as the antenna. strip it to needed lenght making shure that the screen doesn't touch it, then solder other end to the antenna output, solder screen to the ground and you should be fine.

tv coax will be a pain to work with though. those are rather thick and not very flexible. not exactly something good for RC imo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: