Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding external LED's to TX & RX  (Read 1599 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a revised USB to serial mini adapter in an enclosed power box to a board to my arduino pro mini.
I thought it would be cool to connect mounted LED's (2 mm)to the TX and RX, can i run it off of the lines directly, or would I have to feed the signal to a transistor and LED, or is not powerful enough to do either. I noticed that the built on LED's connect to different pins of the adapter according to the schematics, what's up with that?

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I noticed that the built on LED's connect to different pins of the adapter according to the schematics, what's up with that?
The ATmega8U2 processor used on the board had some spare pins so they used those to drive the LEDs.

You can probably use 1K resistors and LED connected directly between the RX/TX pins and Ground.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes, can run from the lines directly, use 1K or higher resistor so there is little load on the lines.
Measure them with no transfer occurring - if they sit at a high level, you may want to add an inverter so the LEDs only light up when a transfer is occurring.
The built-on LEDs are driven from IO pins on the USB/Serial chip.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: