Go Down

Topic: Acceleration Measurement (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,

I would like to try to measure horsepower from an accelerometer. If I collect acceleration data WRT time and perform some integrations, I will be able to calculate velocity and position. From there with some drive train calculations it should be pretty easy to calculate torque and horsepower. I need one axis and a 2 g accelerometer. I would like to collect as much and accurate data as possible to do my integrations. My plan is to use a memsic 2125 accelerometer. It is low cost, meets my g requirement, and axis requirement. From my reading there are 100 hz and 400 hz models? The accelerometer puts out a pulse signal, so I wouldn't even have to perform an ADC.

What is the best way to collect this data? Should I look at getting a SD card shield? How many samples per second can the arduino uno collect? 16 msps?

Erdin

Sep 16, 2013, 09:30 pm Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013, 09:35 pm by Erdin Reason: 1
Did you really say: 16 Mega samples per second ?
Or: 16 milli seconds per sample ?

By the way, that sensor is an expensive freaky weird old and outdated sensor. Why would you use a frequency output, when the Arduino has a I2C bus, a SPI bus and analog inputs.
There is a simple sketch for it: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Memsic2125
(But I still don't like that sensor)

Don't set high hopes on calculating the position. The MEMS sensors are noisy and drift.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microelectromechanical_systems
I did see a few projects that calculate the position. Perhaps one was on www.hackaday.com

Chagrin

There was a post on hackaday where an accelerometer was used to track the position of a person's shoe as they walked. The only reason this worked is because the user could count on their foot being motionless every step and at a known position (on the ground!).

But no, you can't hope to put an accelerometer in a car, for example, and have any sort of sane result beyond the first two seconds.

Practical rate of recording samples would be around 1000-10000 samples/second. Commodity MEMS accelerometers are only capable of outputting data at ~1000 samples/second.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy