Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: interfacing a 12 Bit SPI ADC  (Read 10781 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thanks. It works great now.

Phil

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hey, nice work on the code.  What is the name of the gyro that you are trying to interface with the arduino?  Could you include your code for the gyro as well?  I'm having trouble interfacing the MLX 90609 rate gyro through SPI.

Thanks!!

New Zealand
arduino: far too much like electrical engineering.
View Profile

I'm using the sparkfun analogue IMU, hence the ADC. The important thing with SPI is to read the datasheet carefully, nearly all SPI devices aren't 'standard'.

-- Alec

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello Halabut,

I recently bought a Wiring Mini board and hooked up one of these mcp3208's to it .. using the same code you provided. It compiled with no errors and successfully uploaded to the wiring board. It doesn't seem to work though. All I see in the serial monitor of the Wiring IDE is either 0 or 4095 ... and the occasional random number every once in a while.

I'm using the same pin #'s ... 10,11,12,13

It works 100% on my arduino.

thanks,
Phil

New Zealand
View Profile

I don't have any experience with wiring, but from the sounds of it this is a hardware problem. Check all your wires are in correctly and that the ADC has its ref voltage and power supplies connected and they're at the right levels. Other than that I can't think what it'd be.

-- Alec

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you. I checked it a few times over and then switched to a different set of pins with the same results. It is strange. Do you think it has something to do with timing? ... maybe the wiring board's timing is different from the Arduino.

Phil

God Member
View Profile

Maybe the pin mapping is different between wiring an arduino. remember the pin #'s in the arduino world typically refer to the arduino board's pin numbers, not the microcontroller pin numbers.

Arduino was obviously inspired/based on/an offshoot of (not sure of the technical term, don't want to offend the tinket.it guys) the wiring board, so maybe the numbers match, I'm not sure.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

That's a good possibility, but I don't think I would have seen anything on the serial monitor.

Phil

New Zealand
View Profile

Timing shouldn't be a problem, the code is all bit-banged. It's very timing insensitive, and doesn't rely on any chip-specific features.

-- Alec

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm pretty sure it is a pin mapping problem. I just checked out the schematic at:

http://wiring.org.co/download/WiringMini.pdf

It looks like Port 3 is where I need to be wiring the ADC to ... I was originally trying to use Port 1 on the Wiring Mini

Wiring Mini Board pins        MCP3208 ADC Pins

24             ----->   CS Chip Select Pin 10
           25             ----->   CLC Clock Pin 13
           26             ----->   Din MOSI Pin 11
           27             ----->   Dout MISO Pin 12

Looks like this should work. I'm out on the road with my job right now. I should be able to check this on Monday.

Phil

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I've been messing around with it for the last couple hours on the correct pins ...  still the same results. I have no idea what may be the problem.

Phil

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm back to just using this on Arduino.

I'm trying to use the AGND pin. I tried putting about 2V on it, but it just shunts down to millivolts ... since it is an analog ground. Is AGND really meant for setting a lower limit? The spec sheet doesn't really mention too much about it.

Phil

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I figured it out. I had to use a separate power source for the analog end of things. I connected the pot wiper (from analog source) to AGND pin.

In the end it brings the resolution down to only 11 bits instead of 12. I have my Vref set to 4.77V (from digital source) and AGND of 2.25V .... my ADC range is from 0 to 2047. Is there any way to make this range from 0 to 4095 ?

P.S.  I didn't connect the Analog ground to the digital ground.

Phil

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi halabut,
I am a newbie with arduino. I'm currently trying to implement ADC MCP3204. I tried to use your code and connect similarly but my adcvalue keeps reading either zero or 4095 (5V). I suspect it's the timing but the datasheet for both 3204 and 3208 have the exact same timing. Please help, thanks!

New Zealand
View Profile

That's strange, especially given that they're the same datasheet. Looking at the code it should work fine (for the first four channels only obviously)
All I can advise is checking your connections against the datasheet, the pins are in the same order (except dgnd on the left). Many of my frustrating 'broken' circuits have been me forgetting to connect ground, so check everything twice. Other than that it might (and this is unlikely) be a dud chip.

Alec

-- Alec

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: