Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: more than one Motor Driver on Arduino Uno?  (Read 229 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I am starting a new project and got a small problem. I need to power/Control 4 Different Geared DC Motors.
As you can use two motors a Driver (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/315) I was thinking about the problem it might give if you connect two of them on one Arduino Uno. Can it handle it? Or should i get a different Arduino, and if i need a different one, How can I get a shield that fits on the Uno to fit on it?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I was thinking about the problem it might give if you connect two of them on one Arduino Uno. Can it handle it?
Yes no problem. Where are you getting your motor supply from? That might limit you but there is no problem with a separate supply.

How can I get a shield that fits on the Uno to fit on it?
Make it on a prototyping shield.

View Profile

I'm no expert in this but as I understand one should have a fly-back diode when driving inductive loads. Reading the comments to that IC on sparkfun I saw someone mentioning that it, in contrast with the L293D, lacks internal fly-back diodes.
If you're not too interesting in doing it from the ground up I would recommend looking for a shield that manages it all for you. E.g. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-motor-shield
(I have a copy of that, but haven't gotten around to use it). You can also go with breakout boards and connect them to different pins on the arduino. There are many such with the L298N chip that can drive bigger loads. I haven't seen a shield with two L298N though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: