Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Differance between Sparkfun Arduino Pro Micro and Arduino Micro (Serial Ports)  (Read 886 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am curious about the differences (other then the number of ports) between these 2 micro controllers, specifically the serial ports. I know that Arduino micro is based on the Leonardo, which has 2 serial ports (1 virtual -> USB, RX + TX) and uses the ATMega 32U4. The Arduino Pro Micro also uses the ATMega 32U4 and so i was wondering if it also had 2 serial ports.

Since the arduino pro micro is smaller (no pins) i would like to use it but i need 2 serial ports and so i would like to know if it is capable of connecting to an XBee through RX TX and computer through USB for serial communication,

thanks in advance

View Profile

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11098

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

I recently bought a 100% compatible Leonardo board for $14.00 From Ebay and a local US supplier at that.
Interesting piece of engineering, to wrap the components about the Pro on a breadboard or not. Prototype PCB  boards are available to host the Pro, I own several.
  You might also use the open source Leonardo compatible board with a shield... or for simple task's even stripboard... for either the board or the Pro.
Of the two I favor the shield because of the ease of design, reusability of the controller... and new design methods for better 'tuned' goals... Should it be 'discovered' that the original approach was poorly thought out before being committed to paper for stage one evaluation of concept...   
IMO, Good Design is a series of successive approximations closing in on the final design goals.
I spend more time reading data sheets then I do actual circuit design... Makes designing Much easier and faster...
When you have an approximation of the potential "Gotcha's" both location or layout and condition(s) to ensure correct operation of the parts used and written up, it sure makes the design review for approval much easier and a great deal more productive.

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Sweden
View Profile

Since the arduino pro micro is smaller (no pins) i would like to use it but i need 2 serial ports and so i would like to know if it is capable of connecting to an XBee through RX TX and computer through USB for serial communication,

Yes, it can! You have TX, RX and USB broken out.. The rest is only software =)..

//Basel

View Profile

thanks good to know that i can connect to both usb and RX TX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: