Go Down

Topic: 2s Lipo Charging from USB (Read 483 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi, Im still new to electronics but learning fast, i hope someone can point me in the right direction on this question!

I am designing a stand alone board that needs to run a small 5v motor. I would like to use a small 2s Lipo pack for this. It will probably be in the range of 140-300mAh capacity.

I would like to install the pack and board inside a Key-fob style enclosure and dont want to have to remove the pack each time to charge it.... Ideally it would just like to use a usb cable to charge from. Either from  an iPhone Charger (5w) or at a pinch a PC (2.5w) but both of these are only 5v. My inexperienced thoughts give me a couple of options...

1    Charge the pack in series. i found this charger controller by Microchip -MCP73213 that i could use... http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/268/22190a-13379.pdf
     The spec gives a minimum supply voltage of 4.2v. is this gunna work or should i use a step up for this?

2    Charge the pack in parallel. Basically use 2 MCP73833 controllers as used on the adafruit chargers and connect them via the Balance leads on the pack.

thanks for any thoughts you may have :D

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy