Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Solar Radiation Sensor By Campbell Scientific  (Read 509 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

smiley-cry smiley-cry Can anybody please help.   smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley-lol smiley-lol smiley-lol smiley-lol

I'm wondering if arduino is compatible with this kind of sensor..

http://s.campbellsci.com/documents/au/product-brochures/b_cmp3.pdf

i have experiences with arduino but only in fingerprint and Rfid readers that are arduino compatible.

i really have no idea if this kind of sensors will work in arduino.

Geniuses,explorers and professionals.. please help smiley-lol

Thanks in advance!...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:18:21 am by lery007 » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Please stop cross-posting.  Replies go here.

Australia
View Profile

From the information about the Sensor, its impossible to tell.
You really need to contact the manufacturer and get better specs on the output data format.

View Profile

Thank you !... and sorry for cross posting .... may i know what factors must i know on a specific sensor for me to know if it is arduino compatible?
for example, pressure sensors, do i need to know the current, voltage and ampheres? or some electrical unit... i'm sorry i lack knowledge in electronics i am an IT student which aims to develop a project that logs data from the sensors thank you smiley-kitty

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

http://campbellsci.com/cmp3-l
http://s.campbellsci.com/documents/us/manuals/cmp3.pdf

The CMP3-L outputs a low level voltage ranging from 0 to a maximum of up to 20 mV, in natural light, depending on
the calibration factor and radiation level.

A differential voltage measurement is recommended because it has better noise rejection than a single-ended measurement.

I'm wondering if arduino is compatible with this kind of sensor..

Not directly.  You will need an amplifier between the sensor and your Arduino.  I believe Kipp and Zonen (the actual manufacturer) has an compatible amplifier for sale through their website.  Or, someone from this forum may be able to guide you through the process of building one.

Edison Member
View Profile

This sensor is really a variety of a thermocouple,    and it interfaces in the same way.   You need to amplify the voltage differential created by the thermocouple using a suitable amplifier.   Google "thermocouple amplifier"  or thermocouple arduino", lots of examples.

There are tricky issues with calibration of thermocouples,   it depends whether you want an absolute correct temperature or just a consistently reproducible one for process control.

View Profile

Thank you for your replies

now that i know that this project is possible .. i'll make researches on it more...

just another question...

because this project is a weather station project. ... do eery sensors need thermocouples?

atmospheric pressure sensor and temperature sensor.. do these kind of sensors need thermocouples?

or can i put these three sensors in a single board like arduino MEGA?

View Profile

Mr/Ms. michinyon after some googling i do now have an idea of what a thermocouple is so the solar radaiation sensor is a kind of like temperature sensor.. i am planning to use the adafruit thermocouple sensor now my question is.. can i connect the wires of the sensor to the amplifier directly? then i will connect the amplifier to the arduino. is that possible?

thank you for helping me smiley-grin

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Yes, wires to the amplifier directly. It seems like a MAX31855  should work right, based on what little documentation Campbell Scientific provides. It's a bit of an odd way to do it but not unreasonable.

The MAX31855 is going to give you back values in "temperature readings" which you'll then need to convert back to millivolt values. NIST provides charts for that. FYI I'm linking the Type K thermocouple chart here because that is the type of MAX31855 amplifier that Adafruit sells. You'll then need to convert those millivolt values to solar radiance, but I don't immediately see where Campbell Scientific provides that information.

Mathematically converting temperature to millivolts is a really ugly formula -- you can search "thermocouple coefficients" to get a feel for that. If you're as mathematically inept as I am you might want to try MultiMap().

Edison Member
View Profile

These sensors work by absorbing all of the visible and infrared light in the sunshine.

Unlike photodiodes and light sensitve resistors,   they collect all of the wavelengths instead of just one range of colours of light.

The surface of the device gets warm,  the same as anything you leave lying around outside in the sun.

The thermocouple junction generates a voltage because of the difference in temperature between the warm side of the junction and the cold side.

The temperature of a thermocouple follows a known behaviour which depends on the type of metals used,  but is the same for every thermcouple using those metals.

How you would actually calculate the incident solar radiation,  I don't know.    Presumable you would have to match it to another known device.

View Profile

i forgot to mention that the sensor hve three wires.. the blue the red and the black for ground.. if i am going to use the MAX31855 ... where am i supposed to put the ground wire from the sensor

by the way thank for the replies from all of you smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin smiley-grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: