Go Down

Topic: simple opamp circuit ? (Read 732 times) previous topic - next topic

ralphnev

i need this for a Due input so 0-3.3

my signal is ~1-4v so i need to subtract 1v from the input to get it in range
  it has to be fast (signal changes every 2us)  & not AC coupled ..

IF i had a negitive supply i could sum the inputs  ... but i don't have negitive supplys at hand (ment to be in a portable device )....

does anyone have a solution ? 

DVDdoug

Sep 24, 2013, 12:06 am Last Edit: Sep 24, 2013, 12:11 am by DVDdoug Reason: 1
IF i had a negitive supply i could sum the inputs 
Most op-amps are going to require a positive & negative supply if the output needs to go all the way to zero (or negative).    Otherwise a differential amplifier (difference amplifier) with a gain of one, and +1V on the negative input would do the trick.

ralphnev

.75-3 & doing in software doesn't cut it - you loose 1/4 the range ... no point in having 12 bits (4096 ) if you toss out 1/4 of them

plenty of rail to rail single supply opamps /

SirNickity

Most (all?) "rail to rail" op-amps, aren't.  Close maybe, but still asymptotic.  Only way to get 100% of a voltage range is for the supplies to exceed it.

Grumpy_Mike

. but i don't have negitive supplys at hand

How about using a voltage mirror chip for the negitave rail?

dc42

Here's a circuit that should work with any 5V rail-to-rail output op amp.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

ralphnev

Most (all?) "rail to rail" op-amps, aren't.  Close maybe, but still asymptotic.  Only way to get 100% of a voltage range is for the supplies to exceed it.

understood / but i don't want to lose 25% of my width (5-10% if i really have to ..)
and at some point don't mind if 0V is hard to get to ...

ralphnev

Here's a circuit that should work with any 5V rail-to-rail output op amp.

i'll give that one a try
i had tried today with a similar circuit / but to find out that i have to wait for smd holders for the proper opamp   - 8dip ones i was trying with didn't have the bandwidth ...

MarkT

.75-3 & doing in software doesn't cut it - you loose 1/4 the range ... no point in having 12 bits (4096 ) if you toss out 1/4 of them

plenty of rail to rail single supply opamps /

Losing 1/4 of the range still leaves 11.59 bits, and that might be more than the effective bits anyway.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

SirNickity

i had tried today with a similar circuit / but to find out that i have to wait for smd holders for the proper opamp   - 8dip ones i was trying with didn't have the bandwidth ...

This could be my own ignorance, but what about that circuit requires higher bandwidth than you can get in a DIP-8 package?  Was it oscillating?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy