Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Distance sensing with Arduino  (Read 536 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I need to find the distance and angle of an object like a sword being swung for a project of mine. I was wondering if there were ways to put a sensor on the end of the sword and the hilt to find the angle and distance of the sword. Size is not really an issue, but I would like to accomplish this for less than $100 in electronics for the sensor(s).

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Distance and angle are relative terms.

Distance from what?

Angle with respect to what?

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

I think that what you mean is tracking the sword. maybe with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_sensing?

View Profile

You need to be more specific. Do you need to track the object as well? You can use a Sharp IR sensor to detect distance quite accurately. I am unsure if this would work for what your trying to do but you could use two Sharp IR sensors to acquire two distances, compare them then resolve an angle as well from that data.

View Profile

Angle relative to the x, y, and z axis mainly. I also need to track the object in space, mainly the distance of the tip and base of the sword from the target. Sensors can be placed on the sword.
I was thinking mounting gyroscopes on the sword, but I still can't figure out distance. I looked a IR things, but they seem to be able to only find the distance of any object, not specifically the sword. Maybe radar would work, but I am doubtful of its accuracy.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Angle relative to the x, y, and z axis mainly. I also need to track the object in space, mainly the distance of the tip and base of the sword from the target. Sensors can be placed on the sword.
I was thinking mounting gyroscopes on the sword, but I still can't figure out distance. I looked a IR things, but they seem to be able to only find the distance of any object, not specifically the sword. Maybe radar would work, but I am doubtful of its accuracy.

To get the position and orientation in a 3D space your best bet might be the camera from a Wii controller. The camera on the end of the Wii controller measures the relative location of two IR sources on the tracking bar under the a TV screen (or your target).  The position of the two IR lights in the image allows the Wii to calculate distance and angle.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

Ah, thank you! I will look into using that kind of technology.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: