WIRE LENGTH MEASURE AND CUTTER

DEAR SIR,
I WANT TO MAKE A SMALL PROJECT USING AURDINO BOARD FOR MY SON.
I WANT TO MAKE AUTOMATIC WIRE LENGTH MEASUREMENT AND CUT SINGLE OR MULTIPLE NUMBER OF PIECES. AND ALSO OF DIFFERENT LENGTH FROM SMALL SIZE TO THE BIGGER UP TO 20 MTRS LENGTH, AND DIAMETER OF WIRE SHOULD BE 0.5MM TO 3MM.

COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO CHOICE OF COMPONENT AND TYPE OF AURDINO BOARD REQUIRE ALONG WITH MOTOR TYPE AND AURDINO CODE TO CONTROL TWO MOTORS.
I ASSUME ONCE I WILL FIXED ONE PARTICULAR LENGTH I NEED ONBOARD NUMERICAL CONTROL FOR QTY: 0-1000 OF PIECES AND LENGTH MEASUREMENT IN MM FROM 0 TO 20000MM.

SO I NEED NUMERICAL CONTROL
DISPLAY FOR THE UNIT FEED
I NEED TWO MOTORS ONE FOR CUTTING AND ONE FOR MEASUREMENT

ALSO I REQUIRE AURDINO BOARD
MAY BE SEVERAL SENSOR OR RELAY TO START AND STOP.

COULD YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME AND LIST OF COMPONENT REQUIRE WITH AURDINO CODE TO INTERFACE WITH WINDOW SOFTWARE, USB OF COMPUTER TO AURDINO CABLE TO DOWN LOAD THE CODE, ALONG WITH ESTIMATION.

PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL.
WITH BEST REGARDS, JIGNESH DHARIA-+919821030140

Please take off your caps lock.

Do you want me to move this to "Gigs and collaborations"?

sp. "Arduino".

JIGNESHDHARIA:
DEAR SIR,
I WANT TO MAKE A SMALL PROJECT USING AURDINO BOARD FOR MY SON.
I WANT TO MAKE AUTOMATIC WIRE LENGTH MEASUREMENT AND CUT SINGLE OR MULTIPLE NUMBER OF PIECES. AND ALSO OF DIFFERENT LENGTH FROM SMALL SIZE TO THE BIGGER UP TO 20 MTRS LENGTH,

How accurate (as a percentage) does your length need to be?
At 20 Mtrs, even 1% accuracy will give you lengths between 19.8 and 20.2 Mtrs, a discrepancy of up to 40cm between the longest and shortest. Is this acceptable?
And please stop shouting!

Accuracy as you said 1% is ok.

Dear Sir,
Please guide us to start the project.
I have made wire cutter. Now i will make Wire feeder.
If you will send me details for type of Arduino board and Programming Code I will start to combining both things.
with best regards, Jignesh

You could probably do this mechanically.

However looking at an Arduin;

You cannot design the code until you know what it has to control.

To start with you need to describe the physical design of your cutting system (which you have) and the physical design of the feeding system (which you are going to produce). What motors are used, what interfaces do you already have.

A photo of the cutter would be a good start.
How old is your son?

There is a very similar question being asked here, you should probably follow that thread as well as this one.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=116223.0

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
for Cutter I have utilised 12V DC Geared Motor. I have made Link mechanism with Tin Cutter. My cutter can cut wire up to 6mm dia.
I have selected Geared motor for good torque. Am I correct? Or I should utilise some other kind of Motor.
I am 48 years old and my son is 17. He is in First Year Inter science. I don't know how to upload my cutter image.

Also thanks for Automated cutter. I have gone through that. There is not a particular help for Arduino selection and any code to control measuring and cutting function automatically.
Please do the needful.

You need to expain your design, how;

• does the wire come is it on drums
  • were you thinking of measuring the lengths
  • will the wire be fed into the cutter
  • fast does the system have to operate
  • will the wire be clamped in position during cutting
  • will you know the wire has been cut
  • is the cut wire removed

Will you use a PC to provide the interface to the Arduio e.g. to tell it what length you want cut, how many pieces and the wire dia?

The mechanical aspects of this project are probably the difficult bit.
You probably will not need much IO and the control logic should be relatively simple, but you should firm up the physical design first.

Also you should say what skills you and your son have. Have you done anything like this before are you good at building machines and working with electricity, do you have programming and electronics experience.

There are sites on the internet that let you load pictures then you can post a link to them. The other thread posted a picture and it makes it a lot clearer to people what you are trying to do.

You need to explain your design, how;

• does the wire come is it on drums-Wires are in form of spool, we will make approx. 100 mtrs roll for demonstration, also if require I will make spool holding device.
It has to a manual feeding in to tubes for the first time, once the wire spool over, we have to feed once again.
• were you thinking of measuring the lengths- I want to build machine should cut for variable length. As mentioned earlier I want to make a project for maximum 20 mtrs length
• will the wire be fed into the cutter
• fast does the system have to operate : I want to make feeder with variable speed, slow and fast and respect to the same cutter motor timing, once feeder motor stop cutter motor start for cutting operation.
• will the wire be clamped in position during cutting, not necessary, because wire is so thin in dia (0.5mm to maximum 3mm thick). And also according to my design I will put cutter edge near edge of feeder tube approx. 5mm away.
• will you know the wire has been cut- yes, and after that feeder motor start functioning to feed another length. So we need to set delay for feeder motor, or I can use relay, once cutting done sensor stop the cutting motor at pre-defined position. I think so programming delay time is a best solution for each interval. I will interface sensor to stop machine once wire over for feeding.
• is the cut wire removed -just bellow I will keep a plastic container or a long tray for the collection of cut wire.

Will you use a PC to provide the interface to the Arduino e.g. to tell it what length you want cut, how many pieces and the wire dia?
Yes sir. And I would also like to make standalone type with display and commanding button like nos feeding, length size, and (Feeder Motor) m1 slow fast- controller.

Is it possible to give some guidance for what Arduino type, and Touch Screen type Coomanding boards are available to interface?

The mechanical aspects of this project are probably the difficult bit.-
Mechanical aspects I will handle. I have already made cutting device and now feeder mechanism roughly made. Final piece I will get by next Wednesday. Mean time I must ready with Arduino code and Circuit diagram. So once the Mechanical thing ready I will interface two motor connection, sensors, with Arduino.

You probably will not need much IO and the control logic should be relatively simple, but you should firm up the physical design first.

Also you should say what skills you and your son have. Have you done anything like this before are you good at building machines and working with electricity, do you have programming and electronics experience.- Mechanical thing I will handle. Programming is little difficult. I require your 100% help.
Please do suggest Arduino Board type with specific model number if any.
And also type of Motor for feeder Servo or Stepper.

For presentation I am going to utilize 12V 7 Ah, Lead Acid Battery.

There are sites on the internet that let you load pictures then you can post a link to them. The other thread posted a picture and it makes it a lot clearer to people what you are trying to do. Could you please send link so I will post Cutter and let you know to see.

Programming is little difficult. I require your 100% help.

Do you want me to move this to "gigs and collaborations" ?

Do you want me to move this to "gigs and collaborations" ?
Are you asking me for Gigs and Collaborations?

Jignesh

No, I'm asking if you want to move me to this topic into "Gigs and collaborations".

Is it going to help me further?
Or as per your advice is final. I want mind.
thanks.

I have no idea if it will help you further, but if you want someone else to write the software, I'd suggest that is a better place.

Your call.

Ok please do d needful.

JIGNESHDHARIA:
Accuracy as you said 1% is ok.

How do you plan to measure the wire to that degree of accuracy?

Thanks,
Accuracy 1% is OK.

Accuracy 1% is OK.

That wasn't the question. The question was how you intend to achieve that accuracy? Over what range of lengths? At what speed?