Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Robot upload problems  (Read 1817 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

I am having trouble with my new Arduino Robot. I can upload nicely to the Motor board but no the Controller board. I managed to upload once but never again. I have tried switching computers, with and without external power own etc.

I can see the controller board resetting fine but upload fails. Other Arduinos work fine including Unos, Mega, and Yun.

The full upload log is attached below.

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? A huge thanks in advance!

Sketch uses 21,182 bytes (73%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 1,777 bytes of dynamic memory.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131
PORTS {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131, /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131, } / {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131, /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131, } => {}
PORTS {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131, /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131, } / {/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-1, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Serial-2, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131, /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131, } => {}
Uploading using selected port: /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfa131 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/2p/xppn304s7t3f2rr33lc0r1qr0000gn/T/build4096724376878548028.tmp/Beep.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/parnes/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: Send: . [1b]
avrdude: Send: S [53]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
   at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:129)
   at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1692)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1605)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1577)
   at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2397)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Caused by: processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
   at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:113)
   at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:127)
   ... 5 more

Portugal
Edison Member
Pretending you know everything then you will learn nothing.
View Profile

I am having trouble with my new Arduino Robot. I can upload nicely to the Motor board but no the Controller board
What chip the Controller board have?
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Did you have a Atmel Butterfly Development Board?
Are you using the Arduino IDE to upload the skeetch?
From the log you are telling avrdude to use the butterfly programmer, is this right?

Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Both parts of the Robot is a Leonardo-Arduino and when I program the Motor board it also says Butterfly and it works.

I have tested both with Arduino 1.0.5 and the beta of 1.5.4. Same result with both.  And I have just tried with the latest nightly build with the same broken result smiley-sad

What else can I try?

Belgium
View Profile

You are selecting the right board in the IDE? There is a different entry in the board selection for the robot control board and the robot motor board.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, I am. If I select the wrong one the code won't compile before upload.

View Profile

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem! Uploading the Logo example sketch to the Robot Controller board worked once and since then i can not upload any sketch to the controller board anymore. The COM port gets resetted, but  the bootloader seems not to be invoked. Instead the Logo sketch starts as on normal reset. Also pressing the reset button twice does not help. There are no problems with the Robot Motor board to upload the 2 sample sketches.

Beside that, running the Logo sketch shows that the robot is not able to run straight forward (always turns slightly to the left). Also doing 4 times left or right turn seems to be a problem. The motors seem to be very weak and the robot stops moving. The batteries were fully loaded.
I intend to send the robot back, if there is no solution :-(

BTW: I tried with a Win 7/64 and a Win 8.1/64 system. I have also an Arduino Uno R3, Nano V3, Mega 2560 and Due. They all work without problem. I also tried Arduino IDE 1.0.5 and 1.5.4r2.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:16:36 pm by wksyspro » Logged

View Profile

Hi,

I've found out, why the upload to the Robot Controller board does not work, but I still have no solution to fix the problem:

The Arduino Robot is similar to the Arduino Leonardo. When uploading a sketch, the virtual port (in my case Arduino Robot COM7) disappears and a new one appears for a couple of seconds (Arduino Robot Control bootloader COM8). Since the new one appears not as port COM7 the upload process does not work. Unfortunately you are not able to preselect in the Arduino IDE the port COM8 for upload purpose, because this port is not listed when starting the IDE.

Any ideas?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi

I ended up sending my Robot back to the reseller and he reprogrammed the main chip using an external ISP. The problem on these is that there is no protection against uploading too big programs and if you do that then you overwrite the bootloader. Either this happened or there was something funky going on and it worked one time but not after that. The reseller has reprogrammed it over 50 times but I haven't had time to play with it since I got it back.

View Profile

Hi,

I got mine now to work by removing all COM(x) devices, rebooting Windows (7/64) and then I connected to the Robot Control board. I then installed the COM(3) device driver as advised, pressed the reset key on the Robot twice to get also the COM(4) port for the boot loader installed. Since then I can upload sketches without any problem :-)

You are right, the room for sketches is very small. using the sample sketches fills the controller Arduino by 99%. That's not good at all!

The problem not running straight on I could solve by running the R06_Wheel_Calibration sketch, after I'm able now to upload it.

I did not yet test what will happen again if my system shows additional COM ports for other Arduinos etc.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

So there are to TTYs/COMs for the main board? That explains then why I managed to overwrite the boot loader. Where is this documented?

View Profile

Hi !

the robot is using two COMs. Firstly it installs the Robot Driver and then when we reset the robot  with double click to reset button, it tries to install  Robot Bootloader . But it CAN NOT .
is there problem with the drivers ?????????
All the time , there is problem in the installing process.

it tries to install , for example ,
Robot - COM13
Bootloader - COM14 . Although i can not install the bootloader automatically ,   if i did , which COM will we choose ? 13 or 14 ?

And by the way , why can not my laptop install the bootloader  after push double on reset button ? if yours can be installed , can you send me your drivers?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: