Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Terabytes  (Read 4147 times)
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I ordered a 3TB hard disk yesterday for the princely sum of $130.00.

I remember in the early ‘80s when we got the first PCs at work, they had 10MB hard disks.  At that time, the hard disk alone cost about $1000.00.  I also remember wondering “what in the world would a person ever use 10MB of disk space for?”

So the 3TB disk is 300,000 times larger than that 10MB unit.

And the unit cost has gone from $100.00/MB to about $0.000043/MB.  In other words, the 10MB hard disk was about 2.3 million times more expensive.

Due to inflation, $1000 in 1983 dollars would be worth $2348 today.  So that 10MB disk was actually not quite a million times as expensive.

Surprisingly, somehow, this does not make me feel old. How many other things have improved by a factor of one million in three decades?

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Venezuela
God Member
Ground, ground, always ground
View Profile

Good deal Jack! I’m telling you, I really hope to buy at Walmart a 1 petabyte HD before 2020. Regards!

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Dude!  That is so passé.  Any self-respecting nerd gets one of these...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html?iid=subhdr+products_flash
http://www.crucial.com/store/ssd.aspx

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Dude!  That is so passé.  Any self-respecting nerd gets one of these...

Haha, yeah those aren't big enough yet, this is for backups so raw capacity wins. These hybrid drives also look interesting, have any experience with those?

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Naw.

We always go with encrypted drives#.  That significantly limits our choices.  I don't think there are encrypted hybrids available.

# I'm still  smiley-cry that Western Digital bought Hitachi Storage.  Oh how I hate Western Digital.

Edison Member
View Profile

is 1.2Terrabyte not enough hard disk space? :O

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/203C-OCZ-ZD4RM84-HH-1-2T-Z-Drive-R4-R-Series-RM84-1-20TB-Solid-State-Drive-/370866601035?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item56595f3c4b

lol, if you can afford that, can you buy me one for finding it for you?  smiley-grin

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I remember my first hard drive
40 Mbytes £100 or so as I recall
and as you say - what will I use it all for!!

but then I remember adding 8 Kbytes (yes kilo bytes) of memory to a PDP-8
well over £1,000 that cost

ah - nostalgia ain't what it used to be smiley

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Wigan, UK
God Member
View Profile

In the late 90s I worked out that a device with the capacity for a lifetime's music should be available before 2020.

Mp3s go at about 1MB a minute, so that's about 40TB.  If you filled a 40TB media player with music then you could spend your entire life constantly listening to music (including sleeping time) without repeating a track.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

In the late 90s I worked out that a device with the capacity for a lifetime's music should be available before 2020.

Mp3s go at about 1MB a minute, so that's about 40TB.  If you filled a 40TB media player with music then you could spend your entire life constantly listening to music (including sleeping time) without repeating a track.

Nice. Sounds like that prediction is pretty much on track.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Mp3s go at about 1MB a minute
Depends what compression is used. I use 256K bit, songs take about 8-9 Mbyte.
128K only sounds okay when listening in a car when road/tire/engine/airstream noise kills fidelity.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The new Samsung laptop I just bougth has 1 TB of storage - body is very thin, no CD/DVD, don't think it has a hard drive.
Taking it back tonight - I don't like the offset keyboard (from the number pad) and I really don't like the chiclet style keyboard, just awful for typing on; and the front edge has a sharp edge where the body parts meet. Is nice & quiet tho. Haven't loaded any software (like the IDE or Eagle), the i7 processor seems to be pretty quick. Installed chrome - happened so fast I didn't think anything had happened initially!  Made me wonder if it was preinstalled and then just enabled.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

Installed chrome - happened so fast I didn't think anything had happened initially!  Made me wonder if it was preinstalled and then just enabled.

It ought to be.  What's the use of a PC without a Web browser?  smiley-grin

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

The new Samsung laptop I just bougth has 1 TB of storage
My latest company issue standard laptop has 1/4Tb of SSD and 1TB of hard disk (and a mere 8GB RAM - I really must insist on upgrade to 32Gb smiley )

Back in Memory Lane, I do remember particularily a local pc store announcing (a bit longer ago than yesterday)  "Never run out of disk space - we have 800Mb on a single drive!". Yes, there were bigger disks, but this was in the affordable range for a household pc. That space did last a long time. (I upgraded from an 80Mb.) Backup to floppy was no longer an option - I had to invest in a tape drive (using those DC-cartridges, mini sized)

In  a story from the 1920s I read, a father explains to his children that "Everyone is talking about a Millon this - a million that. Can you visualize a million? Here is an aid. Get a stack of millimeter paper. (ie with milimeter squares on it). Cut and place them side by side on a board that is a meter on each side. Now you can see 1 million square millimeters. To get an idea, you can colour each carefully. See how long it takes to do one thousand. And how little that is of 1 million." 

I am trying to extrapolate this to 1 Giga and 1 Terra. That is 1 million of theses 1 million sheets. A piece of paper is (typically) 0.1 mm thick so we need one hundred meter long stack of these square meters sheets to get to one Terra.

POP! <sound of fuse blowing inside my skull>

The DNA inside a single (human) cell is less than a CD, by the way.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I think data management is going to be an increasingly big problem. Say you have 10 files (like I used to, 35 years ago). You can easily keep track of those 10 files.

Then as disk space increases you end up with thousands of files. And you get a bigger/newer PC. So to save trouble, you just copy all the contents of the old PC onto a (fraction of) the new PC's hard disk. And you do that again every 5 years or so.

Before you know it you have millions of files, some you want to keep, others you don't, and a lot of duplicates.

And then you worry about "which is the latest?". Good version control can help with source files, because before that you would tend to make a copy "just in case" and then in 5 years wonder which was the original and which was the copy.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

And the unit cost has gone from $100.00/MB to about $0.000043/MB.  In other words, the 10MB hard disk was about 2.3 million times more expensive.

$100.00/MB?

Kids today...they don't know they've been born!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBjoWMA5d84

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: