Go Down

Topic: roland midi driver + due (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

frb

Hello.
I've been playing for a while with arduino duemilanove and the "roland serial midi driver" to build a "midi drum" (yes another one) working as a midi controller connected directly to my pc via usb.
I picked the configuration steps in this forum (topic "Midi direct via USB") a couple of years ago, so i didn't need to load any additional program (s2midi,hairless,etc.) neither install virtual serial ports (loopbe,midiyoke,etc.), in other words it works like a charm with duemilanove.
Now i'm trying to go forward with a "Due" but i can't get it.
The sketch and the board are working fine when i use the serial monitor, but de roland driver doesn't work, i tried reinstalling but nothing. Apparently the problem is related to the disappeared "ftdi port", which i reinstalled too without success.
I read about a project to make arduino to act as a mid hid device (http://mitat.tuu.fi), but when i tried it sends error messages, i wrote to the author yet, but i wonder if any of you has solved this in a risky less way, cause as i understood i've got to load a hacked firmware but i'm afraid it would spoil the board.
I appreciate any help and thanks for reading.

frb

OK, reading posts here and there i finally give up with ftdi, cause Due has none, end of the story ... but...
in other posts i found some information to use the Duemilanove as SPI to load the HIDuino firmware (or so a think) to the Due.
So i decided to try loading the original Due firmware to be sure what i'm doing,
i load the ArduinoISP sketch to the duemilanove, previous to connect the capacitor.
i wired both boards as shown here http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP (except the 5v, where i use 3.3v indeed in both sides) and then i put a 10uf capacitor in the duemilanove between ground and reset.
i have connected the duemilanove to the pc.
but when i run avrdude i get this message:

>avrdude -C ..\etc\avrdude.conf -c arduino -P com1 -b19200 -p m16u2 -Uflash:w:usbserial_due_16u2.hex:i
>avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
>Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s
>avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff
>avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
>        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
>         this check.
>avrdude done.  Thank you.

and when i add the -F switch i  get the additional lines:

>...
>avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega16U2 is 1E 94 89
>avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
>         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
>avrdude: erasing chip
>avrdude: reading input file "usbserial_due_16u2.hex"
>avrdude: writing flash (4352 bytes):
>Writing | ################################################## | 100% 5.50s
>avrdude: 4352 bytes of flash written
>avrdude: verifying flash memory against usbserial_due_16u2.hex:
>avrdude: load data flash data from input file usbserial_due_16u2.hex:
>avrdude: input file usbserial_due_16u2.hex contains 4352 bytes
>avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:
>Reading | ################################################## | 100% 3.42s
>avrdude: verifying ...
>avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
>         0xa7 != 0xff
>avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
>avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
>avrdude done.  Thank you.

i know i'm doing something wrong but can anyone tell me what is it ?

Thanks in advance.

frb

ok, this is a monologue but maybe it could help someone...
i've found the right wiring here http://www.sainsmart.com/blog/due and finally i could load the hiduino firmware and it appears like a midi usb device and works fine, but as i understood it cannot interact with the IDE directly (i've tried but the IDE displays "No device found on com1"), and i must load the sketch before override the firmware, so my question now is, can i use the Duemilanove (as a SPI) to load sketches into the Due ?
Thank for reading.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy