Go Down

Topic: mulitple wave shields (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

arbee

hi!

i am making a project that needs to output two or more sounds at a time.. i have read that a wave shield can only play one audio file at a time.. what if i use multiple wave shields? Is it possible to use two or more WAVE SHIELDS to an Arduino to play two or more SOUNDS at a time? if not, what else can i do to make this possible? please help.
your answer will be very much appreciated.

Grumpy_Mike

Is it possible to use two or more WAVE SHIELDS to an Arduino to play two or more SOUNDS at a time?

No not straight out of the box. The way the wave shield works is that the SD card is connected to the SPI bus and the D/A is connected to some pins and accessed by bit banging. You would have to hack the libraries, and change the pins used by the D/A and SPI enable line on the other shield.
Having done that I am not sure you would be able to get a good sample rate. The wave shield can only support 22KHz sampling so that may be halved.
Best use a Due for this project as it has two built in D/As

elac

if not, what else can i do to make this possible?

You could use 2 Arduinos  2 wave sheilds and a mixer.
Simple FET mixer: http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/audio/004/index.html
It's all about the skills

arbee

tnx for the replies! but what if i use mp3 shields? is it the same?

Grumpy_Mike

is it the same?

No, an mp3 shield does not involve the arduino doing anything much but saying play so running two of them should not be a problem providing you get the pins sorted out.

Go Up