Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question: Audio Recording  (Read 1203 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I am new here and am looking for some direction.

I currently would like to create a low cost solution for capturing Bird calls in the field. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to begin a project of this nature?

Thanks

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

So an arduino version of something like this?
http://www.deluxecctv.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1824&gclid=CNfz8cKX9rkCFShp7AodOhwA6g

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Something like this:

http://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/products/song-meter-sm2-birds

It doesn't have to have as many features, basic concept is I need to capture data say every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for five minutes at 20 sites all at the same time.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Suggest you pick one up then. Will cost way more than $700 to develop your own and buy/assemble hardware for 20 sites and have them all transmit wirelessly back to one recording location.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

These devices don't transmit. It requires personnel to be feat on the ground to collect SD cards. Plus the programming etc, can be done in house. I just need some directions on the hardware needed to achieve this.

I was thinking...

Clock
Rugged Sound Shield
Arduino

Tell me if I am missing something?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Will be tough on batteries.  No way to power down arduino+shield in between recording periods.
Check costs too:

Uno $25 (sparkfun "redboard")
Rugged Audio $35
RTC Module $20 (sparkfun DeadOn RTC - DS3234 Breakout)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
= $80/location + enclosure + mic + waterproof connectors +battery pack (3AA?)

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

These devices don't transmit. It requires personnel to be feat on the ground to collect SD cards. Plus the programming etc, can be done in house. I just need some directions on the hardware needed to achieve this.

I was thinking...

Clock
Rugged Sound Shield
Arduino

Tell me if I am missing something?

Your budget needs to go on the microphone and a good low-noise preamp first, that's
perhaps $100 before you start even considering how to capture/store the data.  An
Uno isn't up to handling the datarates involved, nor storing them to SDcard.

The Due is faster, can handle USB hosting so would I presume cope with recording
to a USBdrive.

Microphone is an issue, you are probably limited to high quality dynamic insert,
since electrets won't cope with damp conditions.  You need a good low-input
impedance low-noise mic preamp, and then some sort of variable-gain or AGC
processing to prevent clipping.   Then a I2S ADC is a good idea (cheapest part!), for
which there is a Due driver it seems: https://github.com/delsauce/ArduinoDueHiFi

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Oregon, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

A lot hinges on the question of whether you want to know merely whether birds ARE calling, or make high quality recording of their calls?

"It seems to run on some form of electricity"

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

"An Uno isn't up to handling the datarates involved, nor storing them to SDcard."

Baloney. Uno can sample at 44.1K and store to SD card. fat16lib has written code to do that, with an external 16 bit ADC for CD quality sound even. I have a setup protoyped, need some free time to turn it into a PCB.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Discussed it here
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180769.0

View Profile

A lot hinges on the question of whether you want to know merely whether birds ARE calling, or make high quality recording of their calls?

To know merely if the birds are calling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: